Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can My Landlord Charge Me?

Posted by ce1987 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 9, 08 at 11:19

Hello, I need help and advice. I signed a new lease with my apt. complex July 1st for $570.00 a month. My rent technically should have been $605.00 because I have a washer and dryer in my apt that belongs to the complex which is where the extra $35.00 come in to play. The landlord did not include the w/d on my lease. It's not my fault. Last month I paid $570.00 and this month I paid $570.00 on the 5th. Well, on the 6th (the day late fees begin) I received a letter requesting the $35.00 dollars for the washer and dryer and $100.00 for the late fee. The landlord accepted $570.00 on the 5th and the washer and dryer is not on my lease. Can I be charged for this and do I owe a late fee? What should I do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can My Landlord Charge Me?

Hi, well either tell him to take the W/D away, or else pay for them if you want them, but don't pay the $100.00 (because it wasn't on the lease).

o

What I'd do is demand a new, correct lease. Then I'd pay the money for the washer and dryer, but not the late fee.

Did you have the washer and dryer on your previous lease? Then you knew you had to pay for them, even if they weren't on the lease.

o

Check the laws in your state.
You might not owe the owner anything.
Your lease speaks for itself.

o

Internet tenant rights in your state. In my state, you would NOT be held liable since it was NOT in the lease and you have those terms for the duration. You would not be held liable for the $130.00.

There is such a thing as winning a battle but losing the war. You could stand to lose more than $130.00 from the subtle actions of a hostile landlord holding a grudge if you refuse to pay or take him to small claims court.

Keep the peace. Give him the W/D if he waives the $135.00 (get it in writing). Buy your own and take it with you when you move. I've seen those stackable jobs costing not much more than what you would pay to rent for a year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here