Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Um...do I have free internet?

Posted by solomongrundy (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 14, 10 at 10:35

Yes, kind of a dumb question, but here's the story:

In Apartment "A" I had my internet set up and everything was fine with no problems.

I have just moved out of "A" into Apartment "B" (in the same community, but not the same building BTW).

Beforehand, I called Comcast and told them to disconnect my service to "A" and transfer my service to apt "B." I set a "connection appointment" for this Friday (9/17).

Well, out of curiosity, I hooked up my computer, modem, and router to "B" and....apparently, I can connect to the internet (as evidenced by this post).

So my stupid question(s) is should I cancel this Friday's appointment and see if this allegedly "free" internet stays or go ahead and keep the appointment?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Um...do I have free internet?

I would call them and explain and ask if a visit is necessary for Fri. I don't imagine it is, and though you might have gotten it for 'free', it could be turned off or cause you problems on down the road...just my 2 cents.

o

Is your cable TV on too? If so call them back and tell them you don't need the appointment.

If TV isn't on, what you call "Free" internet is probably a neighbor who doesn't have a secured network. You can only use that so long before you get caught.

o

Any chance Apt B's prior tenant didn't have their turn off date yet? Or maybe they paid for a full month of service, moved out before their month of Comcast was up (whatever end date that is) and just let it ride out instead of canceling early? Just thinking out loud...

o

@ gammyt: I never had cable in apt "A," just the internet.

Of course, I could always hook up the co-ax cable to the jack and see if anything shows up.

o

So what did you do?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here