Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
focusguy_gw

Landlord siding with crazy neighbor!

focusguy
17 years ago

So the quick version of the story is like this:

I live on the main floor in a 2.5-unit building (.5 is a basement flat) with an upstairs neighbor.

Soon after moving in, it became clear the neighbor doesn't "play well with others" and rather than come talk to me about issues (all minor) he would complain straight to the landlord.

Landlord never handled issues very well, effectively tried to appease everyone, as a result neighbor thinks we ignored some issues, now we don't get along at all.

In a very recent confrontation, the landlord just started siding with the neighbor, and I am utterly bewildered. Basically, the neighbor decided he wanted to "split" the common backyard, thus giving us LESS area than what we agreed to when we moved in. We said we don't want to do this, and are happy to share.

Landlord is telling us we are the unreasonable ones. Again - neighbor wants to take our land away from us, we say we'd rather not, landlord says this is being unreasonable.

The only 'real' question I have is - my lease doesn't explicitly mention the backyard in any way whatsoever. Do I *have* to do this? Would love to know my legal rights here (I live in San Francisco, home to all the crazy neighbors)...

THANKS!!!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure