Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geist_gw

Help, my floor is slanted

geist
18 years ago

I'm an idiot.

I moved into a new place and my floor in my family room is unlevel. It goes down on one side, like the whole entire floor is falling in. This really sucks and I didn't notice it when I originally was looking at the place because of the furniture.

Is this a health hazard? What kind of stuff can I do? If I can't get my furniture or this is too difficult, I'm going to work to get myself evicted.

Stuff is literally rolling off my desk.

Comments (9)

• joann23456
    18 years ago

I'd buy a package of shims at a home improvement center or lumber yard, and see if they do the trick. Friends of mine own a house that's seriously slanted, and they've managed to level everything in it with simple shims.

• jlhug
    18 years ago

You are not an idiot.

Shim your furniture and let the landlord know about the problem. He may not be aware of it if no one has complained. It COULD be an indication of a structural problem that needs to be addressed.

• geist
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the help guys. I wish there was a law against this though, it sucks. It's not like it's just some areas, the actual apartment is slanted to the left. When checking out this place, I wanted the 2nd floor one - I don't believe it was slanted, but I guess the top level (3) is falling into the ground....

...Once I talk to my Mom I'm going to call mgmt. Though, I doubt they'll let me switch or anything, and how would you fix a problem like this?

• lazy_gardens
    18 years ago

I'd call the local zoning and building safety inspectors RIGHT NOW. It could be ready to collapse on you!

If you are forced to move out because of safety problems, the management has to either find you equivalent housing at the same price or let you out of the lease.

• Ina Plassa_travis
    18 years ago

uhm- there IS a law against renting unsafe buildings to unsuspecting tenants. and if they don't have a GOOD reason why the floor is slanting ( I've got 100 year old wood floors that are bowed down by the weight of the plaster walls as the house settled, but they're stable now)

if the whole floor is tilted, there are only a few choices- the foundation is subsiding unevenly, the framing wasn't done properly in the first place, or there is some kind of rot going on.

it may be stable. it may be on the verge of collapse. the fact that the landlord didn't TELL you (I know the floor has a weird angle, we had it checked out, please call us it if gets any worse, or you develop a crack in the plaster) tells me your landlord is inconsiderate at best, incompetent or outrightly unscrupulous at worst.

• Gina_W
    18 years ago

Many buildings have rooms and floors that are unlevel to some degree. I wouldn't be too alarmed about anything collapsing. It takes a lot for a floor to collapse.

Just make sure the landlord follows up with you on this and gives you a good response about it.

• zeitgeist_aggies_com
    18 years ago

How do buildings in Europe, like where I used to live in Germany, stay fine? The buildings were built in the 1500s yet they maintain them up to date and clean, unlike where I am now.

• volksgeist
    18 years ago

Where do I get shims? I want to level this out more, it would be nice if I could level my chair too, lol. So I'm not uneven. Yeah, it's an old building, built in the 1920s I guess.

• volksgeist
    18 years ago

I got some wooden shims at home depot and leveled everything out. Anyway, I need to figure out a way to level my chairs. I got a level ruler and I can't find a spot on my apartment that is level, jeeze. I wonder if it's the whole third floor, or the whole building. I don't think the 2nd floor was unlevel.

Sponsored