Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beshel_gw

FL Security Deposit

beshel
17 years ago

Hi, Anyone have any experience w/FL security deposit laws??(Link below) My prior LL followed the State rules and sent me a cert letter stating they were holding $65 of our SD for 2 quarter size stains in the carpet in our rental house - we had 15 days to dispute. We didn't dispute - it wasn't worth the $65 to us, we thought we would get the remainder of our $1000 back in 30 days - like our lease states. Well now 35 days after letter was dated and after many attempts to contact the property mgr, who only returned our call after we called her manager, she is telling us the stains won't come out, she is still trying w/carpet cleaner, but if we want we can settle up and pay to replace the whole carpet. (forfeit whole deposit plus whatever else I assume.) Based on how the law is written I would think she needed to notify us a long time ago that it was going to be more than the $65 quote in the estimate, how could we make an informed decision if the cost is not accurate. We moved from the house June 15th, they have had plenty of time to find out how much is was going to cost to repair/clean/whatever. (The house is also not rented yet.) Thanks for any advise!!

Here is a link that might be useful: FL Sec Deposit law - see section 3(a)

Comment (1)