Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
FL Security Deposit

Posted by beshel (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 3, 06 at 20:05

Hi, Anyone have any experience w/FL security deposit laws??(Link below) My prior LL followed the State rules and sent me a cert letter stating they were holding $65 of our SD for 2 quarter size stains in the carpet in our rental house - we had 15 days to dispute. We didn't dispute - it wasn't worth the $65 to us, we thought we would get the remainder of our $1000 back in 30 days - like our lease states. Well now 35 days after letter was dated and after many attempts to contact the property mgr, who only returned our call after we called her manager, she is telling us the stains won't come out, she is still trying w/carpet cleaner, but if we want we can settle up and pay to replace the whole carpet. (forfeit whole deposit plus whatever else I assume.) Based on how the law is written I would think she needed to notify us a long time ago that it was going to be more than the $65 quote in the estimate, how could we make an informed decision if the cost is not accurate. We moved from the house June 15th, they have had plenty of time to find out how much is was going to cost to repair/clean/whatever. (The house is also not rented yet.) Thanks for any advise!!

Here is a link that might be useful: FL Sec Deposit law - see section 3(a)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: FL Security Deposit

It says they have 15 days to notify you about any damages. Then from this date they have 30 days to return you deposit. I didn't find anything about what happens when they don't do this.

I'd talk to a lawyer and have them write managment a letter demanding you deposit be returned in full with the appropriate interest.

Lawyers seem to light a fire under many landlords behinds.

I started to read through all the leagle jargon but its quite complicated. In MN we pay 1% interest and need to return the deposit or send a letter within 21 days of vacating. If the deposit or letter isn't post dated by the 21st the tenant automaticly is entiled double the deposit no matter what condition it was left in!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here