Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jules_y2kok

hiding apt size washer

jules_y2kok
17 years ago

have anybody here had to hide s washer from the apt complex? if so how and when did you use it bring it in ect? my parents need one but not aloud in apt building

thank you

Comments (13)

• judi_e
    17 years ago

Ummm, you do realize that they risk eviction by bringing in a washer that's not allowed. There's a reason it's not allowed. The rent has a certain amount that is covering the water bill. When they bring in a washer they will be using more water. It would not surprise me if the complex noticed that sudden increase in water usage. Then all they need is an excuse to come into the appartment, maybe they'll say they're doing routine inspections, and once they see the washer your parents will be evicted. Are they really willing to risk eviction just so they don't have to go to the laundromat?

• hrp3ks
    17 years ago

There is no way to "hide" a washer. Your parents would be risking a lot to bring one in.

I will never understand why some people think the rules don't apply to them. How would you like it if you owned an apartment building and you didn't allow washers and everyone bought one to "hide" anyway?

If the apartment isn't of a type suitable to your parents' needs, then they should move.

• moonshine22
    17 years ago

aren't there usually code regulations for the sort of drain that's necessary for a washing machine? if a washing machine is used where drainage isn't sufficient, there could be major plumbing problems. might thwart any efforts to hide the actual machine.

• talley_sue_nyc
    17 years ago

my FIL is a pipefitter--he did work on a building that had horrendous plumbing backups because of someone's individual washer--but none at all when they took it away from her. And they *did* take it away from her, and refuse to renew her lease as well. (they don't have to actually evict you to force you to move)

I know people who have tweaked their kitchen to hide their washer under a hinged flap of countertop (they have fake cabinet fronts in front of it).. But they live in an apt. in which the landlord lets the tenants do decorating and remodeling in the apartments by themselves (he lets them redo the hardwood floors on their own dime, if they want to); bcs it's NYC, people live in apts far longer than they do in other cities, even rentals. These folks have lived there for years, and will live there for several more years. They hang their clothes to dry in the bathroom.

• dreamgarden
    17 years ago

posted by nctrnl
    "How big is an apartment-sized washing machine? I have never seen one."

Here is an example.
    http://www3.shopping.com/xPR LG_LG_WM3431HW_Washer_Dryer_Combo

Many aging baby boomers are downsizing and moving from their huge houses into condo's and smaller living quarters. I doubt most of them want to use a common laundry area if they can have one in their suite.

Washer/dryer combos are common in Europe. I don't understand why more landlords don't offer in-suite washer/dryers and charge accordingly for water. Especially considering the points nctrnl raised.

I know several people who live in apartments with laundry facilities, but prefer to go to a public laundromat because of inadequate security or lack of enough machines. One friend has complained more then once about having to carry a large load of laundry down 4 flights of stairs to discover that the only two machines available (in a building with more than 10 units) were already being used. And landlords wonder why they can't keep tenants.

• judi_e
    17 years ago

I agree with you Dreamgarden. My first three apartments didn't have washer/dryer in the units. The second apartment it was only a problem until we told the lady next door to tell her daughter not to take other people's clothes out of the machines. In our thrid apartment we had to go to the laundromat only a few times, and a couple of those were because the machines in our building weren't working.

In our fourth apartment we had a washer and dryer in the unit provided by the complex. I'll never go back. It's tough to go from being used to having your own wahser/dryer to having to share. When shopping for the apartment we currently live in, hookups were a minimum requirement. I didn't even look at apartment that didn't have at least hookups.

The advantage for us in having hookups instead of washer/dryer provided by the complex is that they are OUR appliances, and will go with us when we buy a house. And since the hookups are in a decent sized utility room, we also have room for a freezer. When we get a house we'll only have to get kitchen appliances, and that will be helpful.

• domesticjoy_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I avoid the surge in water use by using the bath water I soak in for the soapy wash, and than use new water for the rinse, clothes are dirty anyway! It involves using a bucket to haul the water to the machine, but with a small portable machine, such as the Haier, it works out great. Water use is an issue for apts that don't allow machines, but, they also like to make money by putting in washing machines. Those things turn a profit for their service, but in a shady way by not allowing you to have that same service in your own apt. Electricity and water don't cost 1.50$-2.50$ for one wash.

• revgailowino
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Well, one could always wash their clothes in the bath tub. You would likely use more water by doing that than using a tiny portable washer. I agree. Some in building laundromats cost anywhere from 1.50 on up, and are often poorly maintained. In our building, we have had people do their business in the washers and dryers!!! Plus the bed bugs that get left in there by people putting junk in the laundry rooms. In our building, we have 1 washer and dryer for 12 apartments on each floor. People may tie them up or hog the usage of them so it is hard for everybody to use them. And with the weather getting colder, you might find somebody sneaking in to find a warm place to stay and since these laundry rooms are not being used at night they sleep in there. I honestly if I owned a building like this, I would allow them to have the washers but no dryers as those can be a fire hazard. But if any caused a flood in their apartment, I would revoke that individual's right to have the washer. In answer to nctrnl, there are mini portables that are about 26"X14"X29" that are very lightweight and can be placed in the bathtub or shower. They do not have wheels on them, they have a tub for washing (agitator is a small spinner on the bottom of the machine. Then there is the spinner side where you put half the load you just washed into the spinner, put the little plastic disk on top to scrunch the clothes down, close the lid, and it spins the clothes out. You can look this up online and see the many brands that are available out there. I kid you not, these little machines are small enough for you to either place on your shower bench or to sit them down inside the bathtub. You just cannot place as many clothes in a load to wash. Plus, you can reused your tub of rinse water as the next load's wash water. I had one of these kind about 40 years ago and that's how I did it. They have the newer lighter models now. I would never suggest you use one in the kitchen as there is always a danger of flooding. To avoid plugging up the drains, place a knee-high nylon over the end of the drain hose so it catches whatever lint the machine throws out.

• Chad Becker
    7 years ago

Depending on the size and type of washer & dryer combo unit you may be able to remove the current full size dishwasher (24") and replace it with a ventless washer dryer combo. If getting it into the apartment is the issue see if you cannot get a used box from a home improvement store from a dishwasher but honestly the two machines look similar enough most will assume it is a dishwasher unless they are looking closely.

• revgailowino
    7 years ago

Uhm Chad, in many apartments, alterations are not allowed. And that LG washer is so obvious. How would she place the drain hose?

• revgailowino
    7 years ago

I wonder how Jules' parents situation turned out. Anybody know? Were they able to keep their washer, or did they have to find another place that would allow one?

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts