Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Door slamming!

Posted by helpme2 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 20, 09 at 18:08

I live in an apartment building complex. I have complained for so long to the office about fixing the front door of the building I'm in. When other tenants come in and out they just let the door go WHAM!!!,BOOM!!!!, all day long. it's really not their fault entirely, because the way the maintenance people "patched it up"!(from the 1st complaint), it's now LOUDER than ever!!!. The whole building shakes, my pictures on the walls shake.My nerves can't stand it any longer. I have asked the neighbors across from me and downstairs from me, and it bothers them just the same. What can i possibly do, i am in tears, my nerves are shot and i can't afford to move right now. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Door slamming!

First thing to do is seek counseling. Seriously.

If you are really in tears over this, you have much worse issues that you need to work out. The door alone is not the only thing doing this to you.

Second, fix the door. If it's effecting you so much, just do something about it. Take a picture of the door closer and post it on the carpenter's forum, they'll tell you whether it's adjustable (and how to adjust it if it is) or if you need some type of silencer, etc.

o

Why would you move before you've attempted to remedy the situation? Mgmt can't know the door is malfunctioning again/still until either they catch it personally or someone tells them. Can you just place a call to get maintenance back out to fix it? Or perhaps type a letter describing what happens, have neighbors sign as well, and drop it off?

Tend to agree with fotostat's last paragraph if you're at your wits end and they won't do something soon enough. It's probably just a matter of tweaking the closing mechanism with a screwdriver to slow the speed the door closes.

o

To the OP: I would try contacting management. moonshadow does have a good suggestion with a letter.

I too find myself very shaken due to my neighbors door slamming. It startles you. And yes, we've had art work fall down because of it. (However, my neighbor does it on purpose not because of a maintenance issue.)

Best of luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here