Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing Window Screens - something to address?

Posted by stretchad (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 5, 06 at 17:13

I'd like your opinion. We just moved into a new place. I noticed today that all the screens on our windows (6 of them) do not fit. They lean in on the glass letting enough space for bugs to crawl in. Basically they're too short to fit in the casing appropriately. Therefore, I can't open any windows to let in any fresh air (was hoping to do that this fall for nice cool weather and saving on A/C bills). It's very obvious that all of these existing screens are replacements and not what originally came with the windows whenever they were installed (the place was built than 2 years ago) - all the screens are white and our windows are actually tan. It's like the landlord just did a half-a$$ed job. Our neighbors (in a unit just like ours) have original screens...

If you were me, would you request appropriate replacement screens for these windows? Or is that just stupid of me as a tenant? I haven't been a renter in many years so I'm not sure what would be considered something I should have addressed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing Window Screens - something to address?

I would ask for new screens, as without them the windows are not functional. Whether or not you'll get them is another thing entirely. But it's worth a shot.

Ask for them all to be replaced. If the landlord baulks at that, could you live with half of the windows having the correct screens? That would give you a bargaining point.

I don't think I have checked out the screens on the windows in 25 years of renting, so I don't think you were stupid. You saw windows and assumed you would be able to open them.

o

Ask your landlord first. You may want to find a place that will build the correct screens so you can pass that along. Many landlords are lazy and not knowing where to get screens made may have them do nothing. In my city proper screens are required for rental premits. Perhaps you could call your building and saftey or other rental enforcer to see if its to code.

I just had 5 screens made and 2 repaired. It was over $160! I live in a town around 100,000 and only could find a ma and pa hardware store to fix and rebuild them!

o

i RECENTLY MOVED INTO AN APT HERE IN FLA. SEVERAL SCREENS WERE MISSING. I USUALLY RUN A/C OR HEAT ANYWAY. TILL THE A/C QUIT WORKING. MY LANDLORD REFUSES TO MAKE TIMELY REPAIRS...AND OPENING MY WINDOWS ISNT AN OPTION(I LIVE ON A LAKE. I INFORMED HERE THAT FAILURE TO REPAIR THE UNIT PROPERLY AND INSTALL SCREENS WOULD RESULT IN RENT BEING WITHHELD

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here