Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there anything I can do about car noise?

Posted by solomongrundy (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 16, 12 at 12:25

I'm not sure if there's an answer to this question.

I've been living in my apartment for about two years (just signed on for another year) and have had no real problems with noise in the parking lot. I mean, sure, you're going to hear people start up their cars or maybe even the door ajar chime or something like that. No big deal.

But recently, there is a neighbor (I'm not sure he even lives in my building) who's car seems to be in dire need of a muffler. EVERY morning at 6AM, I am awakened when he starts the car. I swear the damn thing sounds like it's about to die as the motor constantly sputters so he keeps revving the engine allegedly to prevent that from happening.

Not sure if it matters, but the vehicle seems to be a Firebird Trans-Am and I'm not sure if his car is truly in need of maintenance or he's one of those....jerks who believes the louder the car, the cooler he is and this is just some asinine "modification."

Anyway, I have not gone to management, yet, because I'm not sure if there is really anything I can do.

Suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there anything I can do about car noise?

If you can't identify the neighbor, pretty much the only thing you can do is go to management. Six in the morning is pretty early for loud noises.

It could be that management can't help at all, or it could be that they can ask the guy to get his car fixed (if it is in need of repair), or maybe move his car to a distant corner of the parking lot. You won't know until you ask. At least you will have brought the issue to their attention.

And if they say they can't do anything, I'd encourage other neighbors to complain. Sometimes management won't address a nuisance issue like this if only one person complains. But if half the complex starts complaining, they'll realize they have a problem on their hands and at least try to do something.

o
RE: Is there anything I can do about car noise?

Sounds like he may have a straight pipe on there. Most of those guys do that modification for sound/performance. Either way, it's annoying. Depending on what state you live in and the inspection laws, you could even go as far as call the police and report a noise complaint if the landlord doesn't end up doing anything. The guy could face a violation of the emissions laws in your state even if he has the sticker to prove he passed. Most cops know an illegal exhaust when they see/hear one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here