Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

my apartment complex is endorsing a political party!

vacuumfreak
15 years ago

Every month, my apartment complex puts a calendar that they create with local events and the gas bill in my door knocker. Well this time mixed in with the gas bill and calendar, there was an endorsement for a county commissioner. The county commissioner they are endorsing is a member of a party and religion (it named both in the flier as if that would make someone WANT to vote for him) that are very much anti-gay. As a paying homosexual tenant, having this bull shoved down my throat (or in the door of the home I live at) BY MY APARTMENT COMPLEX really rattles me. I'm floored. I'd love to bring the flier up to them and tell them just what they can do with it, but I'm scared that they might practice discrimination and refuse to renew my lease in a couple months. I don't want to move... I like it here, but financially supporting a company that shoves anti-gay politics down my throat bothers me a lot. Maybe not renewing my lease would be a good thing, but I don't want to be the victim of discrimination more than I already am!

I really think that businesses, especially large apartment complexes with a variety of people living in them should keep silent or at least remain neutral on political issues.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Comments (5)

• lucy
    15 years ago

You know, you don't have to be gay, or appear gay, to stand up for the 'cause', certainly not for discrimination, and I would very much doubt that anyone could give you a hard time over it, but that being said, not everyone obeys local laws, nor are they necessarily above backing such a candidate (as you describe) with their own hidden agenda (do you think they are 'on' to you?). But I think there may be laws in your munipality that address the issue, and certainly federal ones that are against both discrimination and bringing religion into politics. You need to either move (and make it very clear to them why you're doing it), or at least get in touch with some civil or human rights groups to first alert them to what's happening, and to get advice on what your rights are - and what the board is in fact allowed to do and not do under the law. Keep us posted - this one's interesting!

• GammyT
    15 years ago

You said "Well this time mixed in with the gas bill and calendar, there was an endorsement"...

Was this endorsement printed in the newsletter? Could it be that someone else followed behind and added the political flyer?

Personally, if it was me, I would be more upset about getting my gas bill delivered via door knocker. The gas company is selling the gas not the apartment building. Something is fishy there.

Every apartment I ever lived in either gas was included in the rent, or my unit had a separate meter and I paid the gas company.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

I am assuming you have propane tanks that are filled by a company who leaves the bill on your door or has the management do so if the lp guys cannot get in your building. It is possible that someone got access into the building either by talking their way in with one of the tenants or sneaking in as someone was going out, and left the flyers on all the doors. Or maybe someone who lives there did it without knowledge of the management. Or maybe they did do it..... I would just toss the flyer and be glad that you were informed about this particular political candidate's campaign platform so that you did not accidentally vote for him come election time. If you do wish to bring it up to the management company, first ask if they did leave the flyer. Then thank them for informing you about the candidate's views and let them know that you will use the info from the flyer when you vote. Leave them scratching their heads and confused.

• dreamgarden
    15 years ago

"I really think that businesses, especially large apartment complexes with a variety of people living in them should keep silent or at least remain neutral on political issues."

I agree. They have no business putting political messages on your door.

"Is there anything I can do about this? "

I think so. Why don't you contact the ALCU and see what they have to say about this.

A link that might be useful:

www.aclu.org/lgbt/index.html

• fredwolf
    15 years ago

solution: move somewhere else

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler