Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Access to my apt while I'm away

Posted by disturbed_2006 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 26, 06 at 10:25

Hello, I rent an apartment in Delmar, NY and have lived here for 18 years. My landlord recently put the house on the market and I'm dealing with realtor issues. I have been very cooperative with her scheduling appts 24 hours in advance, even during meal hours and on weekends. However, she is very persistent in wanting to enter while I'm out of the apt. I have 2 cats and I'm concerned about their welfare. Do I have the RIGHT to ask her not to enter while I'm away? I'm not talking about weekdays (I don't have a problem during the week); it's the weekends when I plan to go away that I'm having a problem with. THANK YOU very much for any help you can give. I just lost my husband and this is all very stressful for me right now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Access to my apt while I'm away

You have the RIGHT to request whatever you want. Maybe the owner/ REALTOR will cooperate. I sell multi units and don't show them on the weekends unless absolutly neccesary.

They would not be obligated to make sure you are home IF proper notice is given. I prefer to have tenants away from the apartment when I show them for sale or for rent. It's just a lot easier for the buyer/ new tenant, to spend time looking at the apartment instead of feeling like they are invading someones home.

avg showing time when tenant gone for rent 12 minutes
avg showing time with tenant home for rent 2 minutes.

o
RE: Access to my apt while I'm away

I live in Fla, and the law here is clear on the issue. However, I had a landlord several years ago, who, while i was at work, would enter my apt for "maintenance", but failed to provide proper prior notice, or even let me know ata later time. I found out from a neighbor! She timed/recorded his entry/exit. After repeated warnings, he still persisted. I contacted the police, and when he couldnt show proper records of things aleegedly done in my apt.....HE WAS ARRESTED, AND CHARGED WITH BURGLARY.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here