Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
concerned tenant

Posted by jbmoran87 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 4, 12 at 9:08

my landlord came up to me before the begging of the month and told me that she needed me to get my stuff out cause she had the place rented without giving me and eviction notice and i'm on a one year lease...is she legally able to do this

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: concerned tenant

Most likely not.

Google "landlord tenant laws yourstate" to find out exactly what protections you have in place in your state. They change from state to state, so it's impossible to know what they are.

Get out your lease. There will be useful information in the lease as well. In most states, if the lease and the state laws are different, the state law is what counts. Even if you signed a lease that says the exact opposite.

Now, why does the landlord want you out of the building? Is there a problem, like you owe back rent or have damaged the building in some way? Could the landlord have served you with eviction papers, but you didn't get them?

Most landlords do not rent the apartments of tenants who are in good standing and up to date on their rent. Why did the landlord do this to you?

o
RE: concerned tenant

My first reaction is that it seems as if you were expecting an eviction notice in order to terminate your lease. Is that correct? Or are you thinking in a one year lease eviction is the only way to terminate it? If you could clarify that (where you're coming from) it would help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here