Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spiders!!!

Posted by taralee (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 30, 04 at 0:10

My husband and I have been bitten several times in the last couple of weeks by...something. Usually (but not always) at night, while we're sleeping. I've washed the sheets and blankets several times, and carefully inspected the bed and surrounding areas for anything of a buggy nature (like bedbugs), and no luck. The cats are not itching themselves, nor can I find any evidence of fleas. At this point, all I can guess is that it's spiders, of which I _have_ seen much evidence in our apartment. They give me the heebie-jeebies, and no, I haven't gotten close enough to any of them to see what kind they are (that's my husband's job, and by the time he's done with them, they're little more than a brownish-black blob). Because we have pets, I'm not too gung-ho about spraying things around or getting an exterminator...has anyone tried any of those spider traps like these ones here? I'm getting desperate at this point, cuz I'm sick of getting bit! Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spiders!!!

Tell him to catch one for identification.

Most spider bites leave a big itchy welt.

If you vacuum thoroughly (floor, wall corners, etc), and dispose of the bag immediately you can minimize the population.

Consider bedbugs - they hide in craclks in the walls and furniture during the day.

o

sounds like bedbugs. They only show up in the dark and find people by smell/heat. I found one in our cabin which was dead under the mattress pad. I looked them up on the internet.I used borrax along the walls in the bedroom after I vacuumed for a long time. My son complained of bites when he woke up the week before I found it. I don't know where they came from but they were not welcome to stay. Be generous with the borax and let it stay for as long as you can. They have to walk in it to die. You can buy it along with washing soap.

o

I'm afraid that you're probably right -- after some more research, it's probably bedbugs :( :( We're getting bit at night, and while sitting on the couch. I've already done an extreme cleaning of the bedroom, and it doesn't seem to have helped much...and I don't even know how to clean the couch with all it's crevices. I guess we're going to have to get an exterminator.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here