Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tenant's right in hardship

Posted by nebula (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 23, 06 at 22:24

I am a landlord, and my tenant's lease is up next month. Since they did not want to renew the lease, I started to show the unit to prospective tenants. But one day my tenant refused to let us into the unit, even though I gave them more than 24 hours notice by talking to him in person and also handed him a letter with the appointment date and time on it. His wife recently was diagnosed of brain tumor, they have a little baby. I want to know what my rights are and their rights are if they refuse to leave at the end of the lease. Is the law on their side if they have some hardship?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tenant's right in hardship

Well, consider a month-to-month agreement. While this may not fit well into your business plan, put yourself in their shoes. How would you like the situation to be handled if you had a small child and your wife was just diagnosed with a possibly fatal condition? I'm not saying that you should give them free rent, just come up with a solution that helps both sides.

If all you are concerned about is making the almighty dollar and getting everyone to sign a fixed lease no matter what the situation, then you need to take a long look at yourself in the mirror.

o

The LAW is not on their side ... but have you considered sitting down and talking to them about their situation and how to handle things.

Maybe the wife was exhausted and sleeping soundly for the first time in days. Maybe she was in the bathroom having a hysterical crying jag, or maybe her chemo made her vomit all over the carpet.

o

The law does not change when hardships arrive.

Like Lazy said it could be multiple personal things.

I would not do any favors for them other than perhaps work out a month to month written agreement. You currently don't know when they are leaving or how long they will stay.

You need to talk to them either way so you don't end up with two tenants on the first.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here