Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apartment Security Deposit Question

Posted by jdg409 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 31, 06 at 19:10

Hello everyone,

I have lived in an apartment for 2 years. My carpet is in overall great condition with the exception of two stains in my carpet. They are minor and overall condition is excellent. Can the apartment company legally require me to replace the carpet for two stains? Also, can they ruin my credit if I don't pay the extra amount they are asking?

Thank you

Jeremy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apartment Security Deposit Question

Look up your state's laws about residential rentals. Most states DO NOT allow a landlord to deduct for "normal wear and tear", nor do they allow a landlord to require a tenant to pay the full cost of replacing a used carpet.

How old was the carpet when you moved in?

TAKE PICTURES before you move out. What is "minor" to you will sounds horrendous by the time the landlord gets to court.

o
RE: Apartment Security Deposit Question

Lazy is right on the carpet and most states laws.

And yes they can mess up your credit. Even if the law says normal wear and tear. Then its a lot of work to get your credit to normal. Very unfair.

I turned in two tenants today for unpaid rent and damage. I could have put down $10,000. Credit company dings them and tries to collect whatever I say they owe. Only if the tenant fights do I have to come up with reciepts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here