Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pipersville_carol_gw

any manhattan renters here? Maybe moving there

Pipersville_Carol
19 years ago

My job is moving to Manhattan next year, and I'm planning to rent a studio apartment and commute home to my house on the weekends. I'm looking on the Upper East side and so far have seen lots of rentals in my price range ($1000-$1200) online. Of course, these are teeny tiny studios with the kitchen in a closet, but that's fine by me. I need a safe place with a bathroom and room for a bed, period.

My question is, are there any special regional rental quirks in Manhattan I should be aware of? I've read about the fees and no-fees charges. Most of the listings included utilities, which surprised me. Do I have to use a broker to find a place, or are want ads okay?

Comments (9)

• sunrochy
    19 years ago

Never lived in NYC, but there is a site that may help you some, posted below. If I was still in contact with a college friend in Manhattan, I would have had asked him to come here to answer your question.

Here is a link that might be useful: So You Wanna- finding a NYC apt

• Pipersville_Carol
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Excellent link, thanks!

• Lanzz
    19 years ago

rented in Manhattan for many years, and have owned here for about the last 5 years.

send me mail if you want more info about a neighborhood, a specific building or something more general.

lanzz@aol.com

• wellim
    19 years ago

If you are from out of town, using a broker might not be a bad idea. In NYC, the renter typcially pays the broker fee, but the past two yrs, brokers have been getting no-fee listings (where the LL pays the fee). So, it might not cost you anything to use a broker - just tell them you only want to see "no-fee" apts.

Upper East Side is a nice place for newbies. A bit boring, but its safe and a good place from which to get to know the rest of NYC. It's also a bit less expensive than downtown.

• clasione
    19 years ago

You'd better have some really deep pockets to live in Manhatten....

Here is a link that might be useful: Long Island Online

• Pipersville_Carol
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Boring is fine by me, I've had my wild young days working and playing in New York and prefer simpler pleasures now. A small quiet place within ten or fifteen blocks of the new office (near Bloomingdales) will be fine. I'll commute to my "real" home in the country on the weekends.

I was actually surprised at how reasonable the rentals were. And most seem to include utilities. I mean, it's still crazy to contemplate spending $1250 for an apartment that's smaller than my kitchen at home (literally) but it's a doable amount.

• pojo
    19 years ago

Hi,
    Try Craigs list. It's also great for a lot of things you might need. Have you considered looking for someone who only needs an apt on weekend to split so you can get a better apt?
    Good luck
    Jodi

Here is a link that might be useful: craigslist

• Pipersville_Carol
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Splitting an apartment seems like a great way to save money. The neighbors behind us and across the street have apartments in NY and I thought about asking if they wanted to sublet. I leaning towards trying to get a place of my own, though. It's a luxury, but this will only be for a year. I've never had my own place, I had roommates and house shares before I got married.

Craigs list is great, thanks for the link.

• geist
    19 years ago

damn, $1k, ouch. The only $1k apartments here in Knoxville are the very nice looking urban lofts in the old city...http://sterchilofts.com/

Damn, I would kill to live there... Sorry going off on a tangent. My studio is $375..

Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company