Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barrybase

snoopy board

barrybase
13 years ago

My Co-op has security cameras in many of the common areas and also in the health club.

It was reported to me (by a past staff worker) that my Co-op's board members have the ability to go online and actually see what the security cameras are seeing in real time.

I wrote to our board and was told: "Theoretically possible, but not true. We have better things to do."

So, they are able to do this and even though they say they don't, I wonder if they have the legal right to do so. I would have no problem if the building manager was doing it, but not the board members.

Comments (9)

• larke
    13 years ago

But they are public areas, are they not? It's for everyone's protection, so now that you know about them, don't make a fool of yourself in front of them :-) and let any girls you bring home know about them too! Maybe you just need to be female to appreciate them in the end.

• graywings123
    13 years ago

I think you have a legitimate complaint. I would feel uncomfortable with the board having unlimited on-line access to the security camera output. Suppose one of the board members (or a future one) is a pervert or develops an interest in a young lady in the building?

There is no reason for them to have on-line access. Either everyone in the building should have this on-line access, or access should be restricted or at least monitored as to who is watching and when.

• moonshadow
    13 years ago

Not sure what gender has to do with being observed (perhaps illegally)?

Here are laws (by State) regarding electronic surveillance, and it indicates whether photo/video is included. I've no idea how up to date it is, but they do link to each individual State's legislative code. Some are more specific than others, but it might get you started in finding laws pertaining to your own State.

Try googling this (insert your State's name in the blank)
    _____________ video surveillance laws

You can also search the ACLU web site. Just put "video surveillance" in the search box, upper right. You'll then get a page asking if you want to narrow your choices. You can then choose your State from one of those drop down boxes on the right.

• moonshadow
    13 years ago

Didn't see your post, graywings. GW is lagging horribly for me this a.m. so your post was added while I was trying to get mine submitted.

You bring up a very valid point. A building manager may well have had a background check done due to the nature of his work, possibly having access to units, etc. But not necessarily so for board members. So no telling what the potential scenarios are there. Could be anything from nothing to worry about, to garden variety snoop to total perv.

• GammyT
    13 years ago

You said "It was reported to me (by a past staff worker)"

How sure are you that the ex employee isn't making this up?

• barrybase
    Original Author
    13 years ago

By their response, they are admitting that it is possible. Whether or not they actually do it is not my point. They should NOT have the ability to do so. If they have the ability to snoop. there is no way to ascertain if they are actually doing it.

• westvillager
    13 years ago

We installed a door cam (hooked to the AV panels) that unexpectedly captures quite a bit of the hallway. It triggers when the doorbell rings, the door is opened and closed, if we unlock the door via the panel or manually turn it on. We shared that with neighbors, employees and the board right away. Being a public space (nor an obviously private area in a public space), it wasn't illegal. No one seemed bothered. Maybe they feel we've not given them reason to be untrustworthy or uncomfortable.

Our insurance dropped a bit b/c it records to tape off-site. Just like in the lobby of our building, ours can be accessed online, but I don't know the IP address. It's actually amazing how often we're recorded or on-camera here in New York City in the most mundane of places.

• GammyT
    13 years ago

You said "Whether or not they actually do it is not my point. They should NOT have the ability to do so. If they have the ability to snoop. there is no way to ascertain if they are actually doing it."

Again, your only knowledge of IF these cams exist or not, is because an ex employee told you?

• cindy_lou_who
    13 years ago

If they have access, they're looking. It's the same as when someone from your past adds you as a friend on Facebook, what's the first thing you do? You immediately creep through every last picture they have posted. You may not admit it here, but if you had access to those cameras, you would look as well.