Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Open Houses.... How should I prepare?

Posted by AptHunter (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 6, 05 at 14:17

I am moving to LA in a couple of months from NYC and am going out to look for apartments in a few weeks. I am trying to get all necessary information together so as to secure an apartment easily. I have a letter of recommendation from my current Landlord, what else would I need? Bank Statements?..if so, how many months? Credit Report? Also, if I will be using a guarantor, what information of hers should I bring?
As far as securing a place 5 weeks in prior to move in date, how easy is that?

Please help! I would appreciate any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Open Houses.... How should I prepare?

Hi AptHunter,

The letter of recommendation is good, but some landlords prefer to contact your previous landlord(s) directly.

As far as the credit report, they will probably want to run that themselves, and will likely ask for your SS# before you sign a lease, so that they can run a credit check.

They will want evidence of financial capability, either in the form of paycheck stubs, if you are employed; tax returns, if you are self-employed; or bank statements, if you are not employed. The most recent statement is usually sufficient, but more doesn't hurt. I would think that if you are using a guarantor, there would need to be some legally-enforceable documentation in place to the effect that they are "jointly and severally liable" for the rent.

As for the five weeks, it just depends on the individual apartment, and the local rental market. Five weeks (and less) is not unheard of. But if that's all the time you have, it may cut down your selection considerably.

Happy hunting!

Paula

o
RE: Open Houses.... How should I prepare?

Hi AptHunter,

I hope you have already found an apartment in LA by this time. Just want to remind you that apartment hunting in California is much easier than that in NYC. Enjoy!

Matt

Here is a link that might be useful: Some tips on apartment hunting

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here