Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First time buyer

Posted by kelly726 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 26, 05 at 11:33

Well my lease ends in a couple of months and I've been looking into this new townhome/condo community. New community... well there's a row of townhomes that have been there a year but they are are still building ... 4 buildings left actually. Anyways I really like location and everyone around me seems to believe getting a house is a great thing. Equity and all that jazz.

I already put $500 to reserve the one I want. This friday I'm suppose to go in and pick out cabinets, carpeting and such. But now I'm suppose to take a family friend (part time realtor/broker) for bargaining. The whole thing makes me nervous. But he keeps saying that buying a house/condo is like buying a car. We should try and get certain upgrades without all the extra costs. I think I'm nervous b/c the lady who I am working with at the townhome place seems super nice and sooooo I hate the idea of being this annoying person with a broker who's haggling. But I guess other people did this?? maybe? I dunno.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First time buyer

First thing, are you sure the place will be built and move in ready before your lease is up? If not, can you get a month to month lease from your landlord. Even if you are sure it will be done, talk to the landlord anyway. Problems crop up and closing dates change.

No, you don't need an agent for picking out cabinets and such, there is no price bargaining there. What the carpet, cabinets, faucets etc. cost is a set price when you buy into a community. They are not going to sell you the same carpet the next door bought for less money.

Also be very careful in bringing her along. If you do, make it 100% clear that it is only because you like her company. If she thinks she is making commision off of going with you, you will have trouble.

o
RE: First time buyer

Asking for discounts or if there are "packages" of options (like if you buy the nicer cabinets you also get the floors upgraded for free) instead of paying for things a la carte is fine. There is nothing wrong in asking politely.

And the saleslady may be very nice, but it's her job to be nice to prospective buyers. She's NOT your friend, she does not know you. And she likely gets a commission if she talks you into buying expensive upgrades. You need to think critically about any offers she gives you. Ask yourself if they really make financial sense.

It's not unreasonable to try to bargain, and it's not an insult to the saleslady you were working with. It's all about HOW you do it.

One other thing...taking along a "part time" broker might not be a good idea. Will this person think they are acting as your agent? If they are you may have to pay them. Money & friends should never mix!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here