Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
all-night noises from across the street

Posted by vermontlove (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 7:08

I am used to living in an extremely quiet country home. I just got married and moved to an apartment in town. There are only two units in our building, one is empty... lucky for us. The problem is the house across the street. Every member of the family is loud, speaks loudly, yells, calls out from across the yard, laughs loudly, and it goes on until four in the morning, as if they require no sleep at all. Even the young children are running around yelling in and out of the home at such late hours!
I do not wish to involve any authorities at first. I want to go over and introduce myself and speak to them about how I am losing sleep. I am seeking advice on how best to approach this. Should I just make a social call to establish a relationship, then go back a week later for a more serious discussion?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: all-night noises from across the street

People who are that blatantly inconsiderate are unlikely to change their behavior. Just call the police. If you talk to them about it first, when you eventually call the cops they will know it was you.

o

Should I just make a social call to establish a relationship, then go back a week later for a more serious discussion?

A week is not nearly enough time or interaction. Introduce yourself, get to know them, socialize with them for six months, and then think about asking them to quiet down.

Although, I don't disagree with daveho. It's unlikely they will adjust their behavior to suit other people no matter how long or how well they know you. But they will be less likely to egg your house if they like you.

o

I agree with Daveho, "People who are that blatantly inconsiderate are unlikely to change their behavior."

I would introduce myself to the other neighbors first. See if they are nice folks.

Without saying anything incriminating, ask them if there have been any problems and if so, how they (the neighbors) handled it.

They might not like it either, but they may not be the type to bother the police about noisy idiots (unless they are completely fed up with them as well).

There is strength in numbers. If you know the neighbors have called in the past, then the idiots won't think of you first when the cops come a calling!

You DON'T want to become known as a rat who calls the cops at the drop of a hat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here