Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pkock

Getting Used to Condo vs. House

pkock
19 years ago

My 70 yo widowed mom is currently in the process of selling the family house, and has purchased a condo. We're slowly moving her stuff; the movers come next week for the heavy things.

Getting mom to buy a condo was a hard sell. We did it for several reasons: no steps, no outdoor maintenance (hard for us to keep up two houses), lower expenses, easier cleaning, better neighborhood, closer to our house, a chance to de-clutter and sort her stuff, etc, etc. She was against it because she'd lived in apartments all her life before buying the house with my dad, and vowed to never live in an apartment again.

Fortunately we found her a nice place - an end unit, 1st floor of a 2 story building, two-car attached garage, with a nice sized patio overlooking a lake. I think most of her neighbors are older too - 50's and beyond.

The thing is, I'm not used to apartment/condo living! I've always lived in houses, and the one we have now is on a 1/3 acre lot, so there's a big difference. I have to keep reminding myself to be quiet around 10 p.m. or so, to stop yelling at the kids (all parents do that sometimes!), etc. I was running a loud carpet shampooer the other day and stopped to think, hey, it's 9:00 p.m....maybe the upstairs neighbor isn't enjoying this?

I have yet to get a copy of the current HOA bylaws to find out if mom's allowed, say, to have a hanging plant on her front porch or back patio, wind chimes, lawn decorations (the woman across the street does...).

And...smoke...mom's a heavy smoker too. Will the upstairs neighbor suddenly suffer due to my mom's vice? Can I use this as a reason to make mom smoke outside (so the place smells better and to save my kids' lungs when we visit...we're having a heck of a time getting the smell out of her house) or quit entirely (yeah, I wish)???

So fill me in, will you, on condo/apartment etiquette?

--PK

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor