Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Motorcycle HELL

Posted by shes_awake (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 3, 06 at 0:17

Call me naive...I'm new to apartment living (recently divorced) and I am in Harley hell. I moved into this apt with my sons last fall. Since the weather has gotten warm, my corner unit is at an intersection where motorcycles without mufflers and car stereos with massive bass sit and literally vibrate my windows, my desk and even my bathtub when I'm TRYING to unwind.

I'm miserable. We can't open any of the windows because the noise is that bad. This means leaving the air conditioner constantly running. My lease expires at the end of September but this is literally driving me nuts. I have to get up for work at 5:30am so I'm in bed by 10pm...sometimes the engines are so loud they make me jump.

Do I have ANY leverage in getting out of here? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Motorcycle HELL

This would drive me nuts too, especially if I weren't able to sleep.

I wouldn't wait until September. Get witnesses to verify that the noise is unacceptable and start looking around for a quieter place now so that you have something much better lined up ahead of time.

Call the tenants association for your city and let them listen over the phone to the noise. Tape record it if you have to. See what they suggest.

o

I think you are stuck. Unfortunatly this is something that is out of the Landlords hands. Perhaps he will let you move early but I can't see any other leagal way out.

o

what about the cops? In NYC, this would qualify as noise pollution, and I might be able to speak to my precinct's community affairs officer to start a campaign of the cops going by the chasing them off.

But September isn't really all that far away, for that sort of effort. I'd be spending my energy to look for a new place.

o

call the cops if its after 10 pm, otherwise, what can the landlord do? its public space and sadly, only loud A**holes make use of it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here