Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to soundproof a floor when ripping up carpet?

Posted by danilynn72 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 25, 07 at 23:35

Hi there,

Quick question-my upstairs neighbor is doing her carpet over. We've discussed the noise (footsetps) and now creaking (loose boards) before. She will have her carpet people look at the loose boards but say she couldn't put down additional padding to the one coming with the new carpet because it would "void her warranty"? Just wondering if anyone has heard of this?

Also, can I suggest using something else for soundproofing if more padding is not allowed? Maybe mass loaded vinyl? Would something else like this still "void the warranty"? I'm also worried that the dinky padding that comes with new carpet won't be enough soundproofing for my stompers. Any input from soundproofers or inspectors would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to soundproof a floor when ripping up carpet?

When buying carpet and padding with padding there is good better and best???????? Sorry I never heard that before especially since carpet people they are installing it and she isn't doing it herself so the warranty should be covered?
Perhaps call and ask a carpet company about padding.

o
RE: How to soundproof a floor when ripping up carpet?

Yes I have heard of this. Thicker padding will void the warranty as the carpet will wear faster and require stretching over time. What you want to look at is the density of the padding not the thickness. It is never recommended to go over a half inch for padding in any application. Different carpets require different padding to 'work' together. The manufacturer will give you the lowdown.

Check this out here:

http://www.carpet-rug.org/residential-customers/selecting-the-right-carpet-or-rug/selecting-the-right-cushion.cfm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here