Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Association Balance Sheet

Posted by Tad8 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 5, 04 at 23:04

Hi,

I'm new to this message board, but very happy I found it. I recently moved into a condo, and it's a new construction. This summer, the developer is handing over the association to the residents. A management company has already been in place (LandArc), with the developer calling the shots.

The financial statements of the association have been posted, in preparation of the "transition" board meeting, where the residents will get elected to the board. However, I noticed on the Association's balance sheet, there is a $54K loan from the developer - thus a liability. Is it typical in these situations where the association is just getting started, for the developer to hand it over already in the hole? Currently the dues are $99 a month, but surely with that level of debt already, the dues will have to be raised instantly!

Also, are there any resources for someone new to associations to read? I'm thinking of trying to get elected on the board, but not sure as to what exactly would be expected of me, and how much time it would take.
Any suggetions?

Regards,
Tad

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Association Balance Sheet

actually, that's not uncommon at all. When buildings went co-op in NYC in the 80s, the sponsor really stiffed some of them w/ a HUGE loan that had a lousy term--balloon mortgages, etc.

Actually, $54K isn't that huge an amount, when you consider that homeowners can owe more than that on a single-family house. The TERMS of the loan are very important. You might not have to raise the dues right away, or very much. How long is the term?

At 30 years, a 5% loan, the total monthly payment is $290. Divide that by the number of units each month--if it's ten, that's $30 per month. Not that bad, actually. And it may be included in the $99 already.

and you're right, this issue needs immediate and careful attention from the board. They'll need to be sure the terms are advantageous, that the income will let them meet it, etc.

I don't know of any reading, unfortunately. You might check w/ your state's condo regulators (they exist somewhere), and see if you can find any other condos. In fact, ask the management company to give you contact info for board members from OTHER condos it manages, and ask them how their board works.

You can do as much or as little as you want; whether you'll be proud of the work you do or feel overwhelmed will vary.

You sound like a good candidate for the board, because you're already focusing on the big issues. The BIGGEST issue is money. The second-biggest is probably noise.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here