Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
general question about apartment

Posted by organic_amaya (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 29, 06 at 22:39

Ever since my dad has got his apartment, I always wanted to live in one. My question is what type of pest(s) do you have to worry about or watch out for?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: general question about apartment

depends where you are.

In many areas, roaches are the biggie, esp. in crowded areas. In really old buildings, there might be mice (I had both in my NYC prewar rental apt, but only roaches, and that very rare, in my NYC co-op)

Otherwise, really no different kinds of pest than you'd have to watch out for in a house--ants, etc.

NYC has bed bugs lately, but you pick them up in weird places, usually hotels.

o

I was worried about that before we moved into this apt., because I had been living in a house. So before we moved in I used the bug bomb; roach motel and put out rat poison. This place had new carpeting; new kitchen flooring and was freshly painted and professionally cleaned. I didn't ever get any bugs in the traps or laying down with their little feet up in the air. I take my garbage out every nite; don't leave dirty dishes in the sink, or cookies out. Yet other people in this building complain about bugs. But I went into somebody's kitchen and they had a paper bag for the trash (no can) and it was overflowing with shrimp shells at 10am.
They complained the bugs were terrible. I guess bugs know where to go for dinner.
Talley is right about the bed bugs, the Wall Street Journal said even the fanciest hotels have that problem.

o

Is there a law where you live about places needing to be funigated every 6 months or something like that? I know there is where I live. Here if they don't fumigate at the regular interval the town sends someone out and does it and the building owner has to pay the bill. Also we can go and look up when the last fumigation was and if there were any problems with certain pests etc. Just a thought to look into.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here