Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Common Areas in Apartment Complex

Posted by stretchad (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 18, 06 at 19:26

What do you consider to be common areas of an apartment complex?

Reason I ask is the following. DH and I are moving into a duplex unit in this neighborhood: www.meadowcreekapartments.net with our two well behaved golden retrievers. The complex is a mix of three story 2 bedrooms and 1 bedrooms, and 3 bedroom duplex units. Anyway, we are in the Rockhurst model that says it has a backyard, but its not a really defined space for our unit or anything, its more like an expansive yard that spans all the duplex units. Our "Pet Addendum" to our lease says that animals must be on a leash in common areas so I'm wondering if this undefined backyard area is considered a common area? If not, I'm interested in installing a wireless invisible fence for my girls just to give them a few feet of romping room and space to relieve themselves without being on a leash. Of course they would NEVER be unsupervised. Thoughts??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Common Areas in Apartment Complex

What I consider to be "common areas" is not important.

What does the apartment complex define as common areas: ask the management.

If they say "leash" they mean leash, visible thing connected between dog and human.

o

I would say it's a common area, especially if there are no clear and defined backyard boundaries for each living space, so I would treat it as such. I would talk to the landlord/property manager regarding the installation of the invisible fence, but I would definitely clean up after your pets each time they go. To be safe, I would keep them on a leash until you do talk with the LL/PM. If I were you, I would also seek out dog-friendly parks in your area where they can run free.

o

You might investigate whether an unattended leash would be acceptable--could you put your girls on a line that's staked to the ground? That would give them romping room--our dog was quite happy w/ her "run".

But if I were your landlord, I'd say no. I'd want YOU in attendance on your dogs, since there's nothing to keep a kid or grownup from wandering into your dog's bite range.

Good luck!

o

My guess is that management wants the dogs on a leash so the owner's there to clean up immediately after the dog.

o

In our lease it says something like what's in yours. We enquired about it and they told us our dog and children for that matter, are only allowed to be in the backyard to play and such. Dogs must be leashed (kids don't have to be leashed though hehehehehe, sorry couldn't resist!) at all times.
Although we asked and when we are outside with the dog we are allowed to tether her up to the back fence and let her have some space to run around and play. So it's probably best to ask just to be clear on what you can and can't do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here