Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
i need to move out! break lease????

Posted by homieman (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 8, 10 at 17:40

Hi, I need to move out of my apartment, me and my roomate have become mortal enemies.

I have nearly gotten in fights with him several times, luckily I have extreme self control for this. He is OCD and makes my life a living hell.

I've got 6 more months on this 12 month contract. He is insulting in his jokes, and I try to ignore him as much as I can, but he is taking up such a big part of my life it is distracting me from my work.

Me and him are on the contract but we have another roomate that is not on there that we sublease. I think my landlord knows he's there, but could I suggest him to be added to the lease instead? Even though he has no credit, and a dwi conviction? (Even though he's paid for 6 months)., Any better suggestions? Im in NC, and the landlord is pretty cool with me.

What if I got a restraining order? (He'd go nuts since he's in law enforcement) Or just talk to the landlord?

Physical health - fights
Mental health - stress / affecting my work

THANKS FOR GETTING ME OUT OF HELL!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: i need to move out! break lease????

Just talk to the landlord in a businesslike way (leave out all the drama - he couldn't care less). And I can't see you getting an RO on someone who's on the lease and can't help being who he is anymore than you can stop who you are.

o

It is not in the landlord's best interest to remove you from the lease and replace you with the no credit/dwi guy.

You might want to start looking for opportunities to be away from the apartment. Any possibility of traveling for your job? Do you have friends who could make you the third or fourth person in their apartment but only spend a couple nights a week there? Go visit mom and dad more often? Sister or brother who you could visit? Fall in love and spend more time with your SO? Offer to house sit while people are on vacation. Find someone on craigslist in a similar situation and trade - hey, that would make a cool movie concept. OR, maybe your roommate would be happy to have you leave and all you need to do is talk with him about it.

o

If you're chill about it with your landlord, he/she might be willing to help you. By help I mean allow you to switch out for a worthy tenant. Even a lease skip follows you for a long time and six months is nothing comparatively.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here