Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apartment changed rules

Posted by julie98056 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 8, 10 at 16:35

I recently signed a lease at an apartment complex because they offer the use of a private dock for those of us who own boats. 3 weeks into my lease I received a notice that the dock is now off limits to boaters Wednesday through Sunday because it is now being used as a docking station for a local cruise ship that sets out 2 or 3 times a day. Really, who uses their boat only on Monday and Tuesday? Really?

All their advertising states use of a private dock. When I asked for the dock rules in writing, I was given the same generic set of rules to initial, none of which mention the dock. I was told that boaters are limited to a 2-hour tie up, which is reasonable. I was never told we would be limited to only Mondays and Tuesdays. This is a huge deal for me because I would certainly have moved elsewhere if it weren't for the use of that dock.

My real question is this: Can they really do that?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apartment changed rules

They can do whatever they want unless you have it in writing that you get to use the dock whenever you want.

o
RE: Apartment changed rules

Ads don't have to be blatantly false to be illegal. You interpreted something that wasn't the reality, which also counts. There's definitely growing sympathy for people who feel wronged regarding real estate, but the onus currently remains on us to read the lease before signing it. Up until then, you have all the power.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here