Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
modernline2009

Problem with landlord who breaks the law, eviction process in ny?

modernline2009
13 years ago

My father in law, my pregnant wife and myself rented apartment on month to month basis in Queens, NY last summer 2009. Our neighbors who rent apt above ours have wooden floors and 6 children making lots of noise every day until 12am. My father and I have to wake up early to go to work, my wife canÂt relax because of that loud noise. We spoke to our landlords many times and asked him to help us to deal with this problem but unfortunately he didn't do anything about it. We have roaches in our apt, we requested exterminator but our landlord simply ignored it. During the winter we didn't have heat for weeks because it took landlord long time to repair the heating system. My wife gave birth a few months ago, we still don't have window guards even though we requested it many times as well. Since my wife become pregnant, she quit her job and it became difficult to pay for the rent. To increase our income we let our friend to move in with us. We confirmed that with our landlord who verbally agreed on this, however 2 months later the landlord decided to give us 30 days notice of $100 rent increase due to additional expenses related to gas, water and electricity usage.(our landlord pays for that). He said that he will increase rent or the new tenant must leave. Our friend decided to leave on his own because he couldn't take the noise coming from our neighbors. We decided to withhold the rent payment and called NYC to make complaints about our problems with landlord. We received 30 days notice to leave the place. We searched for a new apt but we couldn't find anything that we could afford. We need more time to find a new place. What can we do to extend the process in court, how can we defend ourselves? Please help us.

Comments (2)

Sponsored