Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
curbedenthusiasm

Soundproofing Help Needed - I'm Going Mad!

CurbedEnthusiasm
11 years ago

I am about to go mad! I live in a one bedroom apartment in a 1960s high rise. What I didn't know when I bought the place was that my common wall was as thin as tissue paper. Next door is a person living in a studio, and I hear everything: coughing, sneezing, phone calls, music, computer booting-up, etc. It's driving me mad - it's like she's living in my apartment. So I desperately need to soundproof my current wall.

Right now, my common wall consists of 2 pieces of 1/2 inch gypsum board on either side of the studs. There is no insulation. The wall is 20' long and the only obstruction (other than a couple of outlets) is a 4' long convector (AC/heat unit).

Here were the 2 ideas I had. First would be to get someone to drill a hole in the wall and blast in some spray-foam insulation between the walls. Or, instead of foam insulation, I could apply another layer of 1/2 drywall on top of the existing wall (and around the convector) with a layer of Green Glue in between.

I considered taking down the wall and starting over with resilient sound clips, but the location of the convector is fixed, so while I can work around it, I can't move it forward if the wall needs to move forward.

Any thoughts or input you have would be most appreciated! Also, does anyone have an idea on what this is going to cost? Thanks so much!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions