Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Humidity/ noise in luxury apartment

Posted by bigshot82 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 11, 11 at 9:45

I just moved into this 2 yo complex in florida. There are two problems:
- humidity level is about 55% which i find uncomfortable. I had maintenance check ac and it turned out ok. I tried a portable dehumifier but they are loud and blow hot air.
- walls are thin; can hear everything going on in next door bedroom.

I admit i am more sensitive to these things than most people would be; however at the high rent i am paying, i was expecting better. Is there anything i can do about humidity? And how am i supposed to spot problems like this before signing a lease? I checked reviews on apartmentratings.com and they were mostly ok( there were not that many reviews though)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Humidity/ noise in luxury apartment

I've never rented an apartment with central A/C, so I can't help much with that. I know with my window A/C unit, I have to set it for much cooler than I want in order to keep the humidity down.

With the noise, for future apartments, try and bring a friend along when you view the place. Have the friend go into another room and talk or play an iPod loudly, so you can get a feel for how sound carries from room to room. (It's possible that there'd be more sound-proofing between apartments than there is between rooms in the same apartment, but I haven't found that to be the case very often). Also, while you are in the building, listen carefully for noise from the units upstairs or downstairs, and noise from the hallway that might carry through the walls. If possible, try to see the apartment on a weekend or in the evening when the residents might be home, instead of the middle of a weekday when many people will be at work.

Seeing the apartment at the weekend or in the evening will also give you a better clue as to who else lives there--lots of young people, lots of older people, lots of kids, for example--which can let you see if you will fit in well with the existing residents or not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here