Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lasershow_gw

Strange Drilling Noise

lasershow
11 years ago

I share a common bedroom wall with a guy in the next building. There is now some machine in his bedroom that makes a periodic drilling sound (for lack of a better description), followed by a low hum, then more drilling, etc. At first I thought it was an alarm clock, but I hear it at all weird times (middle of a Sunday afternoon, at midnight, etc.). It's driving me INSANE. I called the property manager last Sunday and left a message -- I thought maybe, for once, he took some action but apparently not since I heard it last night at 12:15 AM! I used to bang on the wall and it would stop (yes, I know, how adult of me), but not now. I'm going to call the landlord today, but does anyone have any idea what the machine could be?? It can't be a white noise machine, because it's surely not pleasant enough to sleep by. It sounds like a jackhammer.

Comments (6)

• Shiloh2169
    11 years ago

Maybe he's playing a video game? Are you sure he's not building something? I know it's hard to try and describe a noise when you're not sure what it is. Try recording the noise and write down the time and date every time you hear it. Since it is happening during quiet hours, your landlord needs to take action. Check your lease to see if there's a quiet time clause. I know mine is between 10pm and 8am. It sounds like this is intermittent, but if it lasts at least 15-20 minutes and it's after 10pm, call the cops that way you'll have a police report to present to your landlord in case he decides to do the tenant-two-step or if your neighbor tries to deny your claims. Hopefully your landlord is a good one and will enforce the lease.

• lasershow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Shiloh -- I doubt it's a video game, though. The guy is quite up there in years (post-retirement). I'm sure he's not building anything, either. It woke me up with a start on Saturday morning. It was the drilling, accompanied by music. So I'm pretty sure it's an alarm clock of some sort. I called the office on Friday afternoon and spoke to the landlord's daughter, who was very sympathetic and equally puzzled. Her father was away, but due back the next day. She said she'd make some calls and then call me back. She did, saying that she'd called the property manager and left a message, and then talked to her father who said he'd handle it. Supposedly he was supposed to be there on Saturday and would talk to him. Well, I still heard the noise over the weekend. I'll see what happens tonight when I go to bed and if I hear it again, I will call again tomorrow. I'm a tenant at will, so I don't have a lease. I've thought of calling the police, but I'm hesitant to take it to that level. If I don't get satisfaction, though, I will! It's to the point where I don't even want to go to bed because I'm afraid I'll hear it, so I fall asleep on the sofa and then I stagger into bed in the middle of the night when I wake up. Of course, I never really fall back to sleep soundly.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    11 years ago

Have you considered just talking to your neighbor? Perhaps he has a hobby you don't know about and doesn't realize he is making so much noise (especially if he is older and hard of hearing).

• lasershow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike, this guy is not approachable. He has lived there 30+ years and believes he can do whatever he wants. He also has a propensity to play opera music VERY loudly. He's toned that down recently; someone must have complained long and loud because it's never been this quiet for this long. Oh wait, he replaced it with the drilling sound!

I hope I will be out of there by year-end.

• cozyfarmhouse
    11 years ago

Maybe he has sleep apnea and is using a CPAP machine?

• lasershow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

CozyFarmhouse, that's what I originally thought but my friend who uses a CPAP says it does not sound like that at all. It's clearly an alarm, because I sometimes hear music along with it. But he lets it play and play and play....how can HE stand to listen to it?? It also goes off in the middle of the day, too. He's retired and home all day; not like he's working a swing shift. Just an inconsiderate a**.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County