Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Landlord wants a year lease

Posted by shokaboka (My Page) on
Tue, May 24, 05 at 20:40

I just finished my one year lease with my landlord and was looking forward to renting month-to-month. He sold the house and the new landlord wants a new lease. She was a bit ellusive saying it was only to spell out rent, etc. When I asked if it would impose a term, she said no, but added if it did, she would prefer year-to-year and not month-to-month. Sounds a bit sneaky to me. What are my rights, if any, in keeping my month-to-month renting? Can I refuse to sign a lease I don't agree to? If I do refuse, can the landlord evict me? Will I have to sign up for another year if that's what the landlord wants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Landlord wants a year lease

"Can I refuse to sign a lease I don't agree to?"
YES ... but then you have no lease, and no agreement with the new owner. You will have to move out.

"If I do refuse, can the landlord evict me? "
YES ... and they can get a hefty penalty from the tenant in most states for having to use the courts to enforce what is a CONTRACT you signed (new owner takes over the leases, is legally bound to comply with them, but is not obligated to retain tenants beyond the end of the leases she bought).

"Will I have to sign up for another year if that's what the landlord wants?"
If the only terms the OWNER of the property is willing to offer is a year's lease, you have to sign or move out.

o
RE: New Landlord wants a year lease

she would prefer year-to-year and not month-to-month. Sounds a bit sneaky to me.

Why is this sneaky? She's got a new property, and would like to know that she doesn't have to run around trying to fill the vacancy in a month or two. That seems reasonable to me.

Month-to-month is sort of risky for a landlord. I think it's a generosity when a landlord is willing to do this--and I notice that most of them are willing to do it for tenants who have already gone through a year's worth of tenancy with them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here