Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DirecTV extra fee by landlord?

Posted by Variable6 (My Page) on
Thu, May 23, 13 at 20:26

My new, awesome, landlord won't let me install a dish on my balcony because he insists I use his central line that leads to his dishes on the roof. He is charging $50/month for this access.

Is this legal? Someone told me the FCC allows me to put a dish on my balcony without managements permission, can anyone verify this?!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DirecTV extra fee by landlord?

I've attached a link to the FCC rules about this. You need to scroll down to the FAQ, where they cover the "common antenna" issue.

Basically, it seems that your landlord can require you to use the dishes he has on the roof, if a) the cost is no greater than the cost would be for you to have your own dish and b) the service is the one you want and c) the signal you get is the same quality as what you would get if you had your own dish.

So your landlord can't charge you more per month than you would pay if you had your own dish. The landlord has to provide the service you want--if you want DirectTV and he only has Dish, then you can get your own antenna. And the picture quality you get has to be as good as if you had your own dish.

Here is a link that might be useful: FCC rules

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here