Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP-ceiling sounds like is cracking/rattling from upst neighbor

Posted by danilynn72 (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 07 at 19:28

Hi there,

OK I've posted before asking if a neighbor has to fix a rattling or cracking ceiling as per an inspector request (I would hire an outside inspector to come listen to the noise). My neighbor has now told me she's not moving and instead her boyfriend (whose a worse stomper) is moving in.

I won't be able to deal with this anymore. My question is: Has anyone ever had it happen where your upstairs neighbor walks and your recess can lights sound like they're cracking?? It could also be the floor boards. It was always bad hearing them stomp but now it's plain out irritable hearing click, click, click, click. WHAT IS THIS?

Thing is, I don't know how to broach them about this (they are friends of my other friends). Also, if we're talking about floor boards being fixed-how BIG of a job is that?? Should I offer to pay like half for the 750 square foot soundproof padding??

Wonder how much this will all cost me?

What if they say no? Should I still get an inspector up there?

Thanks,
Lynne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP-ceiling sounds like is cracking/rattling from upst neig

"(I would hire an outside inspector to come listen to the noise), Should I offer to pay like half for the 750 square foot soundproof padding??"

Why would you want to use your own money to improve SOMEONE ELSE'S property. Is your landlord going to take this off of your rent?

If you can afford to pay for an inspector and soundproofing, you probably have enough for a deposit on another apt. Or, the beginning of a down payment on YOUR OWN house.

If you want to get an inspector in there, call your local tenant association or bldg department. They can give you advice about what your landlord is required (or not) to do about this.

o
RE: HELP-ceiling sounds like is cracking/rattling from upst neig

same problem here live in an old building, the upper people are terrrible just as well, big stompers and droppers and slammers too, my guess is that its just structure flexing and has old plaster walls and not drywall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here