Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danilynn72

HELP-ceiling sounds like is cracking/rattling from upst neighbor

danilynn72
16 years ago

Hi there,

OK I've posted before asking if a neighbor has to fix a rattling or cracking ceiling as per an inspector request (I would hire an outside inspector to come listen to the noise). My neighbor has now told me she's not moving and instead her boyfriend (whose a worse stomper) is moving in.

I won't be able to deal with this anymore. My question is: Has anyone ever had it happen where your upstairs neighbor walks and your recess can lights sound like they're cracking?? It could also be the floor boards. It was always bad hearing them stomp but now it's plain out irritable hearing click, click, click, click. WHAT IS THIS?

Thing is, I don't know how to broach them about this (they are friends of my other friends). Also, if we're talking about floor boards being fixed-how BIG of a job is that?? Should I offer to pay like half for the 750 square foot soundproof padding??

Wonder how much this will all cost me?

What if they say no? Should I still get an inspector up there?

Thanks,

Lynne

Comments (9)

• ihatenoise
    16 years ago

same problem here live in an old building, the upper people are terrrible just as well, big stompers and droppers and slammers too, my guess is that its just structure flexing and has old plaster walls and not drywall.

• Considerate_1
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Okay, this is much later from the original post, but I just want to address this issue. Having been in one unit for years and experiencing those who have been quieter and more normal walkers than others, some are not. Currently, there is the loudest, hardest heel-striker living above, usually driving me nuts for hours. My ceiling CRACKS and SNAPS with each thudding footfall...(and is mostly carpet). Like any repetitive sound that intrudes another's space, this becomes too annoying. I have shared a recording of this noise with others and they are aghast at how it sounds. (The manager thought it was something else, when I showed her, trying to make my point).

When this comes up, many will bring up the structural aspects, some saying "It's just the building" in defense, while they walk like fools. The assumption in these cases is that the flooring needs repair, when the problem is the aggressive walker. (Of course, this is always seen as being brushed over since "how one walks cannot be controlled", is "everyday living".. yada, yada.. yet is such an issue I've seen discussed often).

I wanted to bring up, since when discussing with some lately, they typically assumed the construction here is failing, but was not this way prior. Today I was aware that he's had a visitor up there all day while he was gone and noticed that that person was not disruptive at all, walking normally, proving to me that the floor up there is still fine after all and that it is only due to big foot making rushed, thudding long strides on my ceiling. Ho-hum.

As the offender arrived, I am becoming tense. When he walks over the area where I am sitting, I can feel a dizzying sensation, like my couch actually shifts, apparently due to everything being connected. What occurs often is this endless walking around...like there's "so much to do", rushing back and forth.. back and forth.

Anyway, I feel that one who walks with reckless abandon just should NOT live above another unit. If anyone has ever indicated to one like this that they walk hard, they should STOP... think....and NOT rent above another. It will save everyone involved a lot of trouble. (That goes for the person being regularly caffeinated, or hyperactive, having ADHD or something). Though I know that many do not realistically function by being self-aware and sparing others, it would prevent such problems).

This is what I am going through, possibly getting another unit here, which I don't even want to do (and can't be upstairs), while waiting for certain housing elsewhere, since I cannot stand being invaded each and every day by this. So, I feel the need to have a stressful move just due to another's habits, yet this could just be avoided if one like this would just live in a lower unit! (Though others would still have to hear his constant sound system and BASS noise, the other issue), furthering the thought that one like that should live in a private home if refusing to make adjustments.

• lucillle
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

OP, there are indeed structural issues that might cause those crackles in older buildings, you can ask the management to inspect. They should be receptive to any reports of structural flaws.

However, people come in different sizes and walking styles. Absolutely one thing to do is to check out your local noise statutes to see the objective legal standards in your locale. Statutes are many times designed to be measurable, in time/decibels, to determine the difference between expected noise and noise that exceeds statutory limits.

If the noise exceeds statutory limits and you have proof the management should be amenable to helping you. If it falls below those standards you could try using noise blocking headphones.

• HU-579925356
    2 years ago

I have the same issue i have write to the management which told me that they have requested the owner to put carpet. Howevee, he put carpet on the top of the laminate floor which did not change anything on the cracking. Contact health of environment apparently the noise is no high enough we can hear everything and even what is happening in their bedroom. i even contacf oumbsoudan and told me that the management delatg with it well. i am living with a lot of stress and i will struggle to sell my flat (maisonette)

• christinakaysizemore
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

clearly, the LAWS of condo & apartments need to be stricter in development! Management in most cases, are a nightmare. They could care less if a real problem today.

• Considerate_1
    2 years ago

I have to add, again, that in my case, the unusual noise is due to the current Tenant, unless something is coincidentally breaking down in his bedroom flooring. I will notice that sometimes it will be quieter in his stepping than other times, so if he is traipsing around in reckless abandon, it will cause the snapping, cracking sounds, currently his getting up and leaving around 3:00 a.m. The manager has still never witnessed. I have to stress that I have found it comes down to one’s gait, though this fool has very big feet. Another with big feet or a large person may not walk this way and have seen how anyone, such as a small female, may walk forcefully and on their heels also, causing themselves to be heard in this way. It’s a problem.

• Laura Choi
    2 years ago

Hello! I have the same problem in my condo. Whenever my upstairs neighbors walk or stomp across their kitchen floor, my kitchen recess lights makes this crack sound. I attached a video link recorded from my living room (Video). Does anyone know if this is some serious structural problem? I am kind of worried because they tend to jump, stomp, run, and drop things.

• Considerate_1
    2 years ago

Oh, that’s pretty invasive. That is like what I hear over my bedroom, sounding like a whip cracking, snapping. I should create YouTube videos, also. I don’t know what can be done. It is likely partly wear and partly the tenant. For me, I had not heard this ceiling noise prior to this tenant, except for a perpetual squeak spot..

Unfortunately, as one said, it appears that it is not much of a concern of those managing and owning properties. No wonder it is said to ”always take the top floor“, yet not everyone can do that, and there is no monitoring of those who should over those who should not be allowed to.

It can be pretty painful to experience ongoing annoyances like this and the worst part is, it being overlooked by those not having to suffer with, who have the ability to resolve. Also, the disrespectful tenant who doesn’t consider their actions. I once played a video clip of his walking on carpet and the manager said it “sounded like hammering”, and was not addressed. 😏

I saw a method called ”Squeak No More”, where one inserts a bolt that closes up the gap of the joists and flooring, or something. Yet, when mentioned to the manager, was entirely overlooked. The manager hasn’t even been in my unit at a time when this sound is continually stepped on, not hearing the snapping of bedroom ceiling either, or anything else, like the Bass Beat in the middle of the night. I wonder how she would like to hear this upon her ceiling or this tenant hearing himself on HIS ceiling. Whenever the day comes when the manager will be fixing up my unit for a new tenant, I wonder what will be done, then. It’s painful. I wish you luck in having resolved.

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions