Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cathy_1108

Rude neighbor

Cathy_1108
19 years ago

What would you do about a slightly rude neighbor? A young woman (about my age) lives in my building and has been slightly rude in most of the interactions I've had with her. I have never spoken to her, but several times we have both been walking to the building door at the same time and I had my hands full but she would zip in front of me and enter the building without holding the door. Another time, she and I were walking up to the front door and I was a little ahead of her but she ran from behind me to enter the building first! I find myself wanting to be rude to her if I ever see her because of these events! What should I do?

Comments (9)

• jfrosenberg
    19 years ago

Trip her? Guess the New Yorker in me gets p#(*$(ed off easily!

• Mike_Pam
    19 years ago

I wouldn't do a thing. Whatever it is that makes her tick is not worth your time. Just avoid her. Even though it might be fun to be rude back to her, you don't know what is going on in her mind. She may be a totally irrational person that could be a real pain to live near if she were to decide to take her irrational behaviors out on you.

• SummerBreezeNY
    19 years ago

I have to agree with everyone else. Ignore her. Being a New Yorker myself I too have had my fair share of rude people not holding doors open, etc... I do have a tendency to be somewhat rude right back at em'. Example, if I'm right behind them and they KNOW I'm right there and don't hold the door, I will tend to say "Thanks A Lot" or a "Thank you" out loud so they can hear me. Usually they will get the message.

• This_is_Jordyn
    19 years ago

Maybe she just 'has' to go in doors first. My dog does that, hehe. Just consider her an annoying little dog and try to laugh it off. The more you think about how rude she's being, the worse it'll actually make YOU feel.

Easier said than done though. I have neighbors who seem to be oblivious to the fact that anyone else lives in the building (leaving gates open when they know another dog uses the yard). The more I think about their rudeness, the less I like them and the worse I feel.

• doodman
    19 years ago

Being rude to her would only make you stoop down to her dirt-low self.

Just blow it off and enjoy your sense of self-pride in knowing that you wouldn't do that to anyone. You're all the better for it.

• Ina Plassa_travis
    19 years ago

there is a slim chance that she's simply so shy that she's skittering off, not realizeing she's being rude- but if she's striding along and just lets the door swing shut behind her... WEll, I've done things like walked right in to the closing door, and let something thunk against it hard enough that everyone in the lobby turned around...to see me standing there with my hands full.

either they will realize what they just did- and come help me out... or SOMEONE will...and the offender will usually avoid me like the plague after that- which is fine.

some people have no manners to begin with, but can be taught. some just live in their own little world...and some leave the manners their parents taught them at home with their folks when they move out, and are best avoided.

• JessyFeldm_speakeasy
    19 years ago

How about a good dose of 'So glad you showed up in time to hold the door for me! I'll be glad to do the same for you next time!'

• TommeCA
    19 years ago

Assume she has a weak bladder and has to get to her apartment quickly. Really, as much as we'd like to teach manners to anyone who is rude to us, it just doesn't work that way. Forget about it.

• mjmercer
    19 years ago

There are so many other things that this woman could be doing to you. Do your best to ignore her impatience and remind yourself that at least she's not (choose any of the following): a stoner who plays Pink Floyd at 2:30 a.m., has four screaming children under age 10, has four Rottweilers that are never on leash, etc., etc., etc.

Honestly, it could be much worse. Take a deep breath and go focus on something else.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor