Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shadow44_gw

My downstairs neighbor complains about my walking

shadow44
13 years ago

Hi Everyone, I joined here hoping to get some answers to my problem. I have lived here for the past 3 years. Nothing with me has changed except in January I asked my neighbor not to run his exhaust fans 24 hours a day because of the noise and because of the cigarette smoke coming up here. His response, open your windows! But he did stop running the fans. Since then he has complained to the landlord several times because I walk around in my apt at night. The only thing I do is get up to use the bathroom and go to the fridge for a drink. Last month I agreed to wear padded slippers when he is home. Well a few days ago he told the landlord I was out picking trash from the dumpster and struggling to bring in a microwave in the middle of the night. This was a bold faced lie. My landlady is 72 y/o she told me to try and sleep at night. I said to her," Now wait a minute. This is infringing on my rights now. I dont ever play the tv loud and I dont own a stereo. I'll be damned if he will dictate my bedtime! I am 44 y/o I dont need a father!" I decided to write this man a letter and I let him know to stop trying to control me. I asked him why he is so obsessed with me? I told him this was harassment now and that maybe he should buy earplugs or a white noise machine. I already purchased slippers for him I hate wearing. I hope that since I was assertive he will stop now. Is my walking an infringment of "Quiet Enjoyment"? I was going to ask to swtch units, but I am happy here. If he doesnt like it maybe he should move. He has lived there for 15 years and I have been told he has gotten several people kicked out of here for noise complaints. But is walking a legit reason for complaining? I am not a stomper. For a while after his first complaint I was literally walking on my tip toes. He still found a reason to complain though. When ever he is home when I shower he goes in his bathroom and continuously flushes his toilet. He is in his 60's. This is so childish. I am disabled and I am home everyday except Mon and Fri when I go to therapy. I am at my wits end here. Does anyone have any ideas for me.

Comments (3)