Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
judi_e! I need your help!

Posted by kweenie97 (My Page) on
Wed, May 10, 06 at 12:34

Okay, I need a big favor from you judi_e or anyone else who knows. I live in Lansing, MI and I know that the general rule is landlords have to give 24 hours notice before entering your apartment. Well, we've been getting calls from our leasing office saying they're in the parking lot and want to show our apartment or they'll be there in 5 minutes or what have you. Last month that happened to us 3 days in a row and we weren't happy about it but agreed to let them in. Monday the leasing office called and wanted to come over with a couple within a half hour. I said it wasn't really a good time because I was leaving and my husband was sick in bed. She was fine with it and said she'd call back for another time. Tuesday she called while I was gone and my husband told her he was still sick and didn't want anyone coming over. This time the girl got huffy with him and told him we're required in our lease to let them show the apartment. I had looked this up last month and it does say they have the right to show the apartment but says nothing about how much notice they have to give us. Now they just showed up on our doorstep a bit ago and she said she had left a message about showing the apartment. Since the couple was with her I let them in (still wet from a shower!) but said hubby was still sleeping and the bedroom was off limits. They left pretty quick and when I went to check the answering machine, the message she had left was 20 minutes before they showed up. Is the 24 hour notice law or just common courtesy? If it is law, do you know of a website that says this? I tried the michigan.gov site but it wasn't that helpful. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: judi_e! I need your help!

I've looked, and can't find any laws the specify them having to give notice to enter the property. However, if it says in your lease that they must give 24 hours notice, and that isn't ammended in the section about showing the apartment, I would think it would apply there as well. I just don't know that there's anything that you can do about it, outside of refusing to let them show the apartment unless they give 24 hours notice. But if they have a key, can you really stop them?

I guess if you really wanted to get your point across and they entered without giving 24 hours notice you could call the police and try to get them charged with trespassing. But I'm just not sure it'll make much of a difference in the long run.

If I were your husband I'd be sure to cough on everyone who came in!!!

o
RE: judi_e! I need your help!

Thanks for your input. I can't find anywhere in the lease that says how much time they have to give us but I'm still digging. I'm not going to call them on it but I want to be prepared the next time they call. Maybe the scenario today will deter them from doing it again though cuz the place is a mess (finals week at school for me plus we've both been sick) and I refuse to let them in the bedroom when he's sleeping. And I was in my night shirt with my hair dripping wet when I answered the door. Ha ha! Yeah, the couple didn't stay long at all. I'm just waiting for someone to ask me again though how I like living here because I'll tell them EXACTLY what I think this time. Last time I tried to be neutral about it but that was before we were accused of harassment for complaining about the excessive noise upstairs and now this junk. Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here