Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

smoke in my townhouse - not mine!!

Posted by coach4lizzy (My Page) on
Fri, May 5, 06 at 10:40

Hello Everyone! I was just wondering if anyone has any information on a government agency that would help with my problem? I live in a 2 story townhome. I have cigarette smoke invading my unit from both sides of me. Both of the neighbors smoke heavily. The smokes comes from under the kitchen sink and the in the basement. Our basement is converted to a playroom for my three children and most of the time they cannot even use it. The other half of the basement is the laundry room. My clothes smell like smoke! I have written letters to the management company asking them to correct the problem and they refuse to fix the problem stating they are not a no smoking facility. I can appreciate the statement in the sense that people can smoke... I just dont want other peoples smoke in my unit!!! Can anyone help? Thank You! Beth

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: smoke in my townhouse - not mine!!

I can't see how anyone can give you advice being that they have the right to smoke in there own place as long as it is allowable in which you said it is. I mean, unless they make it a smoke free building all together, then you're best bet is to get some kind of air cleaner or something. Maybe ask you're neighbors if they can go to a window or outside to smoke. Let them know that the smoke is entering you're home. Anyways, I am a smoker and I also know what it is like to be on the other side of not smoking too. Good Luck, Kim

RE: smoke in my townhouse - not mine!!


Since they are allowed to smoke, there's nothing you can do to stop them. What needs to be done is your unit needs to be sealed off from theirs better. I don't know if you can force the management to do that. You might be able to, under the guise that it's there responsibility to maintain the property, and if smoke is travelling from one apartment to another then something is wrong. If not, there are products out there that can help, and they are pretty cheap.

Go to your local hardware or home improvement store and tell them you need something for filling in cracks inside your home. Explain the issue to them, they should be able to get you something like a spray foam to seal things up. Put that in any cracks you think the smoke is coming through. Put it around all of the pipes where they enter the cabinet under your sink. Find any cracks in the basement and fill them in. For a couple bucks and half an hour of your time you could have your townhome all sealed up and never smell your neighbors again.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here