Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajminck21

can you terminate lease early due to false advertising?

ajminck21
14 years ago

I moved into an apartment last June. On the website, in the newspaper and on the contract it states NO PETS. After moving in I discover that just about every single tenant has animals! My downstairs neighbor had 2 German shepherds that barked all the time. They would leave the dog outside tied to a pipe or something and every time I would try to scoot past the one dog to get in my door he would growl and bark and lunge at me. Also, they never cleaned up the dogs feces and both myself, fiancee and friends stepped in it numerous times! I wrote the landlord a letter telling him about the dogs and nothing was ever done! I called the rental office and asked about terminating my lease early and was told the only penalty I would face would be that my deposit would not be returned to me. Unfortunately I didn't get it in writing and now am being billed 2 months rent plus an $860 administrative fee for "skipping"! Any way I would win in court for the apartment company false advertising? Thank you for any help!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor