Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can you terminate lease early due to false advertising?

Posted by ajminck21 (My Page) on
Sat, May 9, 09 at 10:28

I moved into an apartment last June. On the website, in the newspaper and on the contract it states NO PETS. After moving in I discover that just about every single tenant has animals! My downstairs neighbor had 2 German shepherds that barked all the time. They would leave the dog outside tied to a pipe or something and every time I would try to scoot past the one dog to get in my door he would growl and bark and lunge at me. Also, they never cleaned up the dogs feces and both myself, fiancee and friends stepped in it numerous times! I wrote the landlord a letter telling him about the dogs and nothing was ever done! I called the rental office and asked about terminating my lease early and was told the only penalty I would face would be that my deposit would not be returned to me. Unfortunately I didn't get it in writing and now am being billed 2 months rent plus an $860 administrative fee for "skipping"! Any way I would win in court for the apartment company false advertising? Thank you for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can you terminate lease early due to false advertising?

Funny, I remembered I'd just read a section in Every Tenant's Legal Guide about false advertising. I looked it up, and while the chapter deals with repairs, it kind of touches on your problem. Apparently, if a landlord advertises something, like cable TV, he's required to keep it working; if not, you can repair it yourself and sue in small claims court.

It's not the same issue (when have you ever read a guide that addresses your exact problem? :o), but I think it's close. You moved in on the expectation that you'd have no neighbors' pets to deal with (and no odors from previous pets in your unit), and that's not how it worked. You should be able to sue in small claims for everything; the two months plus the admin fee. Just make sure you print out the web page, cut out the newspaper ad, and obviously bring a copy of your lease. Maybe get hold of the book and copy the section on advertising promises.

o

You signed the lease last June, it is May, MOVE instead of renewing the lease.

Read your lease, it has something in there about not renewing your lease. Most say 30 or 60 day written notice. Your landlord wouldn't be saying "skipping" for no reason.

You lived in the no pets building for a year and let it go.

Maybe try small claims court

o

They might argue that all new tenants are not allowed pets, but that it doesn't apply to tenants who have renewed. If you had something in writing (or maybe a person's name at least) you'd probably be fine, but since you don't, they'll just refer to the lease. Maybe just having a lawyer contact them about you taking them to court will get you somewhere. Good luck!

o

I agree about trying to get a lawyer. Some will give free conseltation. Call around to find one. Maybe call small claims court and ask them your rights in the situation.

o

These types of things is exactly why I do not do apartment living anymore.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here