Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lillylohnes

Business landlord issue

lillylohnes
10 years ago

OK, I know this is for apartments but I'm hoping someone with some business savy can give me some ideas. Here's what happened:

A pipe froze in my office....everything had to be moved out while floors and carpeting were replaced. I made all the moving/storage arrangements and paid for them. I was told by my insurance company the landlord's insurance would pay. They did but the way it works, his insurance pays all the claims to HIM being the property owner. Then he passes it on.

He isn't passing it on. Saying I had personal things stored there. I do, one room....clothes, books, etc. No large pieces of furniture. He knew I was using that room for storage as they were in there 2 years ago putting in new windows.

I have no lease so he can't say I was restricted to business items only.

I've been a tenant for 32 years....a quiet clean tenant. Rent paid on time always. There has never been any ill will between us.

So, short of small claims court....any ideas? My insurance co is no help...it's not their problem. His insurance company pleads confidentiality other then slipping up in an email saying my claim was paid to him so I do know that for sure. He has a copy of the email.

We're talking a measly $3400 but even $30; it's the principle, right? And to be honest...it's not so measly to me.

Thanks for any suggestions.

This post was edited by lillylohnes on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 21:10

Comments (2)

Sponsored