Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wishupon_gw

Communal apartment laundry room dilemma

WishUpon
11 years ago

There is 1 washer and 1 dryer for 12 apartments.

Same person, usually same day leaves his clothes in the washer or dryer for hours.
I have yet to ever remove them because frankly there is no place to put it (no basket or table). And I do fear he'll retaliate and do something to my clothes.

Now would you remove the aforementioned clothes?
Would you leave a note for them to be more mindful next time?

Honestly I am so peeved that I want to toss it into the garbage and that person can learn a damn lesson but as much as I want to, I wont...

Comments (6)

• christine1950
    11 years ago

Go to a $ store & buy a basket so that you can put his cloths in it and maybe then he'll get the message and it will only have cost you a dollar.

I'd love to throw the cloths on the floor for being so inconsiderate but like you said he may just retaliate and make matters a whole lot worse since he's lacking consideration for others.

• camlan
    11 years ago

I don't think I've ever encountered a shared laundry room where clothes weren't immediately removed once a cycle was finished. The people in your building are incredibly patient.

What I'd try first is to get management to put up a sign that clothes left in the machines can and will be removed by the next person. It's always better if this sort of thing comes down from higher up, as it were. Then the tenants can just say they are following the rules set by the landlord/management. Any arguments or discussions will have to be addressed to management, not the individual tenant who took the clothes out.

If management won't step up, then I'd post a sign saying briefly that the laundry room is shared by everyone, and people leaving clothes in the machines should expect their clothing to be removed if the machine has stopped and other people need to do their laundry. Put the sign up about a week before you start to take out other people's laundry, so that people can get used to the idea.

Then I'd follow through. Can you put the other guy's laundry on top of one of the machines? Usually, the dryer opens on the front, so you can put laundry on the top of it. If that's not possible, I'd bring a trash bag to the laundry room with me. If the clothes have been left in the washer, I'd put the trash bag down flat on the floor and pile the clothes on top of it. If the clothes are dry, I'd just shove them in the trash bag.

• eteinne
    11 years ago

I think you are being too nice to this jerk. I am not that nice!

There is a guy who did the very same thing. After the 4th and final time of his leaving his laundry in the dryer for 10 hours, I took a black garbage bag into the laundry room and emptied the dryers, placing his clothes into it. I then went into the garbage room and poured a gallon of Clorox into the bag and threw it into the dumpster. Problem solved. He understood the message and takes his clothes out to wash. Lest you think me too harsh, read on.

I grew up in the laundry business and my parents had 6 laundromats. I started working at all of them when I turned 10. I became an attendant when I turned 16 and floated between all 6 of them. The patrons would hate to see me there on their wash day, as I would not let them abuse the machines. A new trans would cost my parents $175 for a new one and this was 45 years ago. They would load the machines with 3 loads of laundry into one washer. Cheap, cheap, cheap! It was 50 cents a load back in those days. Then they would come and complain that the machine was broken as there was still soap in their clothes. I had them separate their one load into 3 machines, open the machines with my key and they would get the proper wash for free. Then came the dryer. These cost 10 cents per a 20 minute cycle. These were big, commercial, dryers. If they used 3 machines, which equaled 9 of their loads, they complained that they were not dry for the 10 cents. The general public is stupid!

Now back to the laundry room saga in my building. We have 5 floors with a laundry room on each floor. This one woman washes on a different floor each week and complains that the dryers don't work right. The other residents hate her. No one else has a problem but this one woman. Last week she was on my floor. I just walked into the laundry room for a Coke out of the machine. She started going on about the dryers, once again. I started to leave when she grabbed my arm to stop me. She then started to go on about the dryers, once again and I tried to be nice at first. I explained that it takes longer to dry a set of King Size sheets than it does a Twin set. This went right over her head and she gave me a blank stare. That's when my gloves came off. I told here straight out that she has 4 adults living in her unit whom are over 250, each. That's a lot of yards of material! I have seen her load the machine and you are unable to see the center agitator post as the clothes cover it. Again, 3 loads in one machine. She uses both machines. These are regular sized dryers and she stuffs them with 3 loads each and wonders why her clothes don't dry?! I then explained to her how the dryers work. She drys on hot, stuffed to the gills, and the heat sensor detects too high of heat and shuts the heating unit off as it is unable to vent. It tumbles the remainder of the cycle with out heat, and she wonders why she ends up with a hot,...

• dreamgarden
    11 years ago

When I used to rent we only had two washers and dryers for 18 units.

At times people did leave clothes in the washers. If I needed to use a washer and it was full of freshly washed clothes (with no owner is sight) I'd take them out and try to put them in a tidy pile on top of the dryer.

Same with the dryer. I wouldn't go out of my way to fold them, but I would give them a snap to keep them from wrinkling anymore than they might if the.

I like the suggestion about buying a laundry basket from the dollar store and leaving a note.

• dreamgarden
    11 years ago

When I used to rent we only had two washers and dryers for 18 units.

At times people did leave clothes in the washers. If I needed to use a washer and it was full of freshly washed clothes (with no owner is sight) I'd take them out and try to put them in a tidy pile on top of the dryer.

Same with the dryer. I wouldn't go out of my way to fold them, but I would give them a snap to keep them from wrinkling anymore than they might if the.

I like the suggestion about buying a laundry basket from the dollar store and leaving a note.

• camlan
    11 years ago

I wouldn't buy a laundry basket for someone else. Nor would I destroy their clothing with bleach.

Get a sign up in the laundry room. It will warn whoever this is that people are getting annoyed with laundry left in the machines. Then dump the laundry out the next time it happens. On the floor, a trash bag, top of the dryer.

It might take their laundry hitting the floor a few times to get this person to shape up.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio