Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sgtgregg

Loud Neighbor

sgtgregg
17 years ago

Hello,

Ok... here's the deal. I just extended my lease on the 1st of March for another 6 months. 2 days after extending my lease new neighbors moved in right next door to me; their master bedroom is next to our master bedroom.

Almost immediately the noise started loud music constantly. THUMP THUMP THUMP, BOOM BOOM BOOM... you all get the point, bass from their speakers. The first time it happened was from about 7pm until midnight. At about 1015 that night the neighbors below my new neighbors went outside at asked them to turn down their music... they did about one notch. It continued, the music bass was so loud the pictures on my walls were vibrating in the hallway; including my master bedroom. So I called security... when they arrived the neighbors were not even home. That's right they had left with the music BUMPING. So I wrote a formal letter to the "community manager" (landlord). I'm not 100% certain if anything she had mentioned anything to the new "frustration in my life" or not. Not two days later it happened again... I emailed my CM, and she responded that she would take care of it. Shortly after that the music was turned down to a lesser level, at least my pictures didn't vibrate on the walls. Two days after that it happened again... This time my CM sort of had an attitude with me because I was complaining. But again she had them turn it down... the neighbor obviously didn't like the idea that I was complaining because she (the boyfriend was at work) came back and slammed the wall with whatever...

About a week later, you betcha... it happened again. But this time it was a loud TV at around 1:00am... This went on for awhile. I even beat on the wall and yelled as loud as I could (which was not very bright), they did not turn down the TV, I knew they were there because I could hear them talk. To no action I grinned at sucked it up and put earplugs in (which nobody should have to do). The next day I emailed my "community manager". The new CM, says she mentioned it, but I'm not certain. About a week later, the music was bumping again and the next day at about 8:00 the video games from the loud TV started... I grinned and sucked it up. But the next day I was outside adding Vehicle Tags to my car and they came outside... they thought it would be a good idea to make comments "about me" but not to me. I gazed in their directions and like "punks" would not look at me or face me. As the boyfriend was getting in the car, he yelled out "is that to much noise for you". Well whatever; but because I am a disgruntled person right now with my neighbor I informed the CM of what happened and the noise from the video games ect... whats that about 5 complaints all in less then 45 days. This was two days ago. Since then my neighbors have not played their music loud or TV loud... yet, but it will happen again. Personally I think they do it just because they know it upsets me; so itÂs done out of arrogance and not stupidity.

I don't play my TV loud, and don't play music loud. In fact the other day my wife thought it would be a good idea to turn the music up... I told her to keep it down, because if we play my neighbors game were only adding to the problem not helping it. How long should this go on? How many complaints does it take? Do I want them evicted; you betcha, especially after the comments made by them.

In the lease addendum it stays the quite hours are from 10:00pm - 8:00am. But it also says "all tenants are required to respect the peace and comfort of fellow tenants". ItÂs obvious to me they are not doing that, what can I do? I'm stuck in my lease until September now. I was here first, we respect all our neighbors even these idiots. What can I do?

Thank you.

Comments (23)

• hiddeninthemist
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hey Sgtgregg,
    I understand your dilemma completely. Its a very stressful world we live in and when you come home from a long day the last thing you want to hear is BOOM, BOOM, BOOM. I guess its kind of late to try and talk to them about the situation. After 10: 00 PM you should have called the police. If you are afraid that you may seem like a troublemaker maybe you can call or visit your local precinct and get some information on what will happen when they come out. Next time they decide to leave the music on perfect time to call the police and file a complaint against them and your CM. You also stated that you and your other neighbors were bother maybe you can talk to them and join forces. I live in a small apartment and consider yourself lucky if you can move to another area of the apartment where you cannot hear it so much.
    You havent done anything wrong. Maybe we should trade neighbors so we can live in peace. Hope I was a lil helpful let me know how it works out, good luck.

• czarinax17
    17 years ago

I sense your frustration - and being retalitory ( you or them ) will escalate the problems. I will never understand how people can move into an apartment without realizing that their surround sound, loud stereos, and sub woofers are actually going to be heard by others. I've seen neighbors come and go who don't really care.
    If your CM cannot resolve the problem, you could file a report with the police, and if the police will not come (they won't do it here for a regular noise complaint) then maybe it's time to reach the owner, and discuss the problem with them. We have a mediation service here for tenants who have problems with each other, but the other party has to want to participate in meeting with the mediator and talking through the problem.

Good luck to you -

• sgtgregg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

yeah you know... at this time I wouldn't want to have a "sit down" with my neighbors to resolve this issue; I just don't think they care. And since the comments they made about me the other day, and "chickened" out when I looked their way... I think it would just p!ss me off to here them talk anylonger.

Today though as been a pretty loud day for them, a lot of door slamming, music, there was even something that hit the wall pretty hard... like a basketball or fist???; whatever. I really don't think the CM is going to do anything more then what she has (limited power). I think next week or maybe even today I will go speak with the management company and find out their policy ect...

Last night was another night where I actually had to put earplugs in because of the noise (I actually sleep pretty good with earplugs in, I just don't hear anything else that could be important).

I am at a serious level of frustration about this issue. My neighbors are (simply put) "punks"; and you bet I'm "sterotyping" them.

I'm the kind of person where I'd rather not call the police because if I do, then any noise I make they can do it in return (retaliation). Also I think the police have better things to do here where I live (Fresno) then to deal with this time of issue, I think the Community Manager and property management company should do more; I pay more rent (if you know what I mean). I've been here longer, never been late, and have always been a good resident and that should mean something. But as time goes on I'm seeing that it does not matter. My money talks (not to sound egotistic), I'll just move if this continues and I'll be sure to write letters.

• sgtgregg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to follow up from my last comment. I went to the Property Management company office today. Needless to say, I got the answers I expected; a bunch of tap dancing. Though I was suprised that the Company had made contact with my CM (probably once I came into talk with them did they call, I waited about 10 minutes before I was able to speak with anyone), but never the less they were briefed on the situation. With that said; they only offered one solution and that was next time it happens for me to call up my CM and have them come to my apartment and hear the noise (Music). The only problem I see with that is, for whatever reason, what may be loud for me, the CM might say that it is ok at that time because it is between 8am and 10pm though it violates the "annoyance" claus in the lease contract.

I informed the company that if the noise continues I would move at the end of my current lease; I'm not sure if the lady I spoke with really cared or not, probably not. I also informed the company that if my neighbors continue with the comments to me/ about me that there will be a more serious problem on hand in the apartment complex. I do think that she was more conserned about the comments rather than the noise.

So with this said I will continue to play the "game" and document my complaints and invite my CM to my apartment to hear the noise. What do I got to lose? Out of everyone I have the least to lose. Someone else can collect my money.

Thanks, I'll keep you updated... I expect to the noise to be more serious over the weekend; when a CM is not around.

• hiddeninthemist
    17 years ago

I hope you are getting some peace of quite at this very moment thats what I'm trying to do now. Did you talk to your other neighbors about this issue? Do you want to stay there after your lease is up cause it seems like you been thinking about moving for some time. You know how some ppl in there 20s are they want everyone on the block to hear their music or maybe their having sex and just dont want anyone to hear them. Some young ppl like to piss off other young ppl just to let everyone know their here lol I think you should move when your lease is up or youll have to deal with a landlord and CM who dosent seem to care. Maybe this change will be good for you. Just dont let them walk all over you. get back at me :)

• angel_037
    17 years ago

sgtgregg, I know what you're going through but you do have an advantage by living in an apartment. If you have complained to your apartment office enough times and they do not do nothing to get these tenants to stop, the are suppose to let you out of the lease. If I were you, look over you're lease. You should not have to leave but I am betting it is going to be the only way out for you. But definitely call the police too. This way you can file a complaint through courts and you can do that. It is a pain in the neck but at the end, you will prevail. Good luck. Cause I am going through same thing, only I bought a house.Kim P.S Look up your laws in you're state about disturbing the peace as well.

• sgtgregg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok... here I go everyone; I'm going to go on a tangent.

I've looked over my lease; I have found a few "loop holes" I can pick at; particullary where is says "all tenants are required to respect the peace and comforts of other tenants", which is in the annoyance clause. Also since I have made complaints in the middle of the night, IE with security and through email, they violate the 10pm - 8am quite hours. With that said...whatever, thank God I have saved every complaint.

As far as the cops. I've debated this in my head back and forth now for a few days now. I try to avoid conflict (period) but because I'm Active Duty Army National Guard (how ironic me avoiding conflict with my neighbors), I have a few contacts with in the police department; so it might be easier for me to pull that "card" if necessary. And I've weighed it up a bit. If the cops start show up all the time to address this noise issue, other tenants are going to start thinking there is "trouble" in this complex and just possible tenants would start moving out... New prospective tenants might see the police in the complex and think the samething. The CM would obviously be conserned about it; it would be her look bad if she don't address the issue. But once the cops are called, then you open up a whole new door. And just one time your out of line on something, my neighbors could call the police just out of reprisal. My beef is not with the CM or the Property Management company; yet. My beef is with my neighbor.

I'm relatively young; 30 years old (of course my 8 year old daughter will disagree). I know young people want to have fun. Infact my neighbor had mentioned that to the last CM that she should be allowed to play her music when she wanted to. I agreed with my CM, she should be; but at a level where it don't disturb me; like I have said, my pictures in my "hallway" should not vibrate to the thmup thump thump, bump bump bump and I should not ever have to put earplugs in (period). I have a very nice computer system; I have top of the line "gaming" speakers for my computer system. Since the very first time when I made my complaint, I have not turned on my speakers. I could turn them on, and I know it would upset them, just because. But what would that show my neighbors, then it would be a battle of the "thump and bump" of bass; though I think I would probably win...

At this time I do plan on moving when my lease is up in September regardless if my neighbors move before me and the loud music stops or not; this has really put a sour taste in my mouth. I've been checking out my area, though purchasing a home is crazy right now (California), renting a home is still pretty cheap. I'm done with apartment living for now I think. I have lived in two other apartment communities. The first one was in a 110 year old building that used to be a hotel and was converted to a apartment complex, very nice place. I thought that place would be bad for noise and music, it was not, other than the bar down below, haha. But it was small, so I moved. The next place, was a very cheap place to rent, very shabby, small, bad neighborhood, ect... but I never, not one time had problems with my neighbors or with noise. I move here, and for the first 6 months everything was great... then this. This reminds me of living in military barracks with the loud music; maybe thats why I hate it so much; the thump thump thump.

Anyways enough of the tangent.

Thanks and expect an update sooner rather than later.

• czarinax17
    17 years ago

I've been following your updates and I too live in ca! Anyway I wanted to say, it must vary from one place to another because here they don't mess around with the "quiet hours" rules or the clause about "noise disturbance". They definitely put people out if they cannot solve any noise issue.
    Maybe you should move to my apt building LOL

All kidding aside I hope you find some peace or a resolution there. Nothing annoys me more than a booming stereo but some may say the same about my toddler!

• angel_037
    17 years ago

I have been following up on your posts as well. I wish you the best on your next move. I today had actually went over to neighbors to ask them to lower there music and to much of my surprise, she was very nice about it. But then again, the are blasting it again now..lol. But all i can do is just let them ride it out until they leave to go out which they will. Anyways, good luck, Kim

• hiddeninthemist
    17 years ago

sgtgregg- I salute you for not killing them yet lol. Today I was awoken up at 10.00 am from the woman vacuming upstairs. It could have been much wrost so I didnt mind it that much, its just that its takes me 4ever to fall asleep and I am a very light sleeper. I wish I didnt have this problem. I'm happy to hear your neighbors are gone that way you are able to get some rest. Move forward I have a feeling the move is going be better for you. Takes advice from (JEN) she wrote on my post and had very helpful advice, Thanks Jen.
    Keep us posted and try not to stay home that much until you move.

• angel_037
    17 years ago

hiddeninthemist , No Offense but you were upset because someone was vaccuming at 10 am? I mean, I would be upset if someone did not vaccum or clean. Plus, it was 10 a.m.

• hiddeninthemist
    17 years ago

Angel- Not everyone wakes up early on Saturday. 10:00 am is still considered morning and it still makes a loud sound cause if it didnt I would have still been alseep at YES 10:00 am. This is not a house this is aparment buildings. I know how ppl like to sleep in a lil late on weekends I would never do that to another neighbor maybe 11.00am or even better 12.00 pm thats just me. Could have been much wrost like I said it could have been loud nerighbors blasting their music next door.

• talley_sue_nyc
    17 years ago

9am is sleeping late. 10am is sleeping REALLY late. Nice to be able to do, of course, but not something you're really entitled to. Not at the expense of your neighbor's life.

I think your upstairs neighbor shouldn't have to put her life on hold so you can sleep really late. Even if you have a night job--people need to clean their homes. Vacuuming can be loud, yes, but hey--she waited UNTIL 10am.

Maybe the reason you couldn't go back to sleep was because you body had had all it needed at one time? Just something to think about.

• sgtgregg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think that maybe "Hiddeninthemist" is venting more than complaining. She (you) obviously understands that "hey ok, I slept in late and wished I hadn't been woke up by a vacumn, which isin't the best way to be woke up but it is 10:00am"...

Growing up, my mom had a rule. I was not able to call friends, nor receive calls from my friends before 10:00am. To this day I keep that rule; I don't call anyone before 10:00am. My job brings me to work typically between 7am and 8am and I need to call people. I never all anyone before 10am. I think its just the right thing to value that time. Like also stated, she said it could have been worse and could have been woke by "loud music".

Today when I came home from work, just a bit ago. I vacumned my apartment. While vacumning I thought about this email (read it earlier today), and the "what if my neighbor complains" about me making to much noise (vacumning)... then I thought about "angels" comment about how she would be upset if someone didn't vacumn or clean. At that time I had wished just this once that my neighbor tried to be stupid and complain about ME making noise; so I could have a very sarcastic comment to my Community Manager about "at least I'm cleaning"... thinking about that, I have never heard my neighbor vacumn yet!

I don't know about anyone on this forum, but I don't want to see Roaches relocating my TV set because my neighbors apartment is to "dirty"... that would put me over the edge.

Gregg

• hiddeninthemist
    17 years ago

Yes I do sleep in late on Saturdays. I have friends who say please dont call me after 12.00 pm because I like to sleep in, have my breakfast, read the newspaper, relax b4 I start my busy day but I guess I'm the only person with friends like this. By my problem I meant I wish I wasnt a lite sleeper. I do like the fact that she/he does clean but like I said I wouldnt do it until later on into the day 11.00 or so, there are other things beside the floors you can clean but I guess you have to do what needs to be done when you have 3 ppl living in a 1 bedroom. What really makes me laugh, its one of those area rugs not one of those thick rugs that should be upstairs but what can you do? As for myself speaking for myself I wouldnt do it.

• sgtgregg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I just thought I'd let everyone know. Ever since I went to the property managers corporate office, I haven't heard anything of a "serious" issue from my neighbors. Everything has been pretty good. But its only been five days.

more to follow.

• angel_037
    17 years ago

Thanks for keeping us posted. good luck and glad to hear all is going good for you. Wish it were here but hopefully soon.

• sgtgregg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok... this is terrible of me to say, but; about a month ago I had noticed an RTO truck pull up outside my neighbors apartment, and I saw the drivers carry up furniture. I had made a comment then to my wife that seeing that tells me that my neighbors probably have "bad credit and can't get financed anywhere". Also that my neighbors are probably going to pay double in the long run renting from RTO rather than saving up for a month or so... I know, I know, very sterotypical. Well yesterday sure enough, RTO came back and REPO'd some of their stuff. I witnessed the truck pull up and one of the drivers went up stairs and a few minutes later came back down, smiled at the other driver and gave him a thumps up, like as to say, yep their home... Sure enough the drivers carried out, an entire bedroom set. Now I sort of feel sorry for them, but I"m also very please and feel some justification from witnessing all that. Its terrible of me to say, but for what I have gone through with their noise... maybe they should of moved to a less expensive apartment complex; I'm sure they wished they had.

• neoadorable
    17 years ago

never feel sorry for animals pretending to be human.

i know exactly how you feel gregg, my apartment is hell as well, i do everything possible to stay away from there, which of course is no way to live.

your options...well, if you think you can take this creep than maybe a confrontation isn't uncalled for. perhaps kicking his ass a little will help. as you well know, with this brand of individual force speaks loud and clear.

• techteacher
    17 years ago

oh my new compatriota how much better I feel...I am not alone in the neighbors from h---. The difference is I have every single one of your complaints all wrapped up up in one set of smelly,disrespectful,intolerable,inconsiderate to quote a previous posting : animals pretending to be human. They stink and it is not just the cooking of the daily meal there is a trash odor and a sour unwashed human edge to it on top of the food , the child screams high pitched wails and stomps all over at all hours,and she ( I think its a she I honestly cant tell if the child is a she or not but "s/he" has a lot of jewlery on arms and ears despite being so young so I think its a girl)must ahte baths because there is often this loud splashing rubbig sound when they have filed the tub with water and then ear pearcing screams for about 15 minutes.Vaccuming o for it to be 10 am no the I suppose female adult run the vacum at 8am sunday morning!The great thing is its gets me to early mass but this week she did it sat morning at 8 am and my pregnant daughter was here visiting and she flipped. She is very worried about my health because of the noise and smell and my heart condition.That is another problem in the h-ll here.We chos r this place because they promiced us handicapped reserved parking places -put up two signs and for 3 years no problem. Suddenly this woman moves in with a boyfriend who has handicapped placard and she complains to the township that the management gave us reserved spaces.Some guy at the township says PA doesnt resrve handicapped spaces So the manager takes our apartment # off the signs. I call the police who confer with DMV who states the township guy was wrong and in PA if its a posted private property they can indeed reserve the space. I go to managers and tell her and she says well I dont want to post a private property signs we dont want anymore signs up but if some one parks in your spot just take the plate # and Ill write them a letter saying it reserved. It keeps happening but a ltter a week later wont help the situation at the time I dont think her letter will do squat!I need to get the law from the cops and go to corporate and get those spots marked as reserved -I just adds to my frustration at the whole mess and feeling like I have no rights about anything.It sounds like going to corporate helped this guy but I also dont want to PO the manager shes anice gal. Its such a mess and I kniw apartment living requires tolerance but why do only I have to tolerate anything and not these other u know whats

• neoadorable
    17 years ago

heh heh, it's always the nicer people that suffer while those who torment them have it easy. that's just the way it is.

• sjuhasz77_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I have the same problem with loud neighbors. It's a mother/son combo, you know the kind where her 30 year old son still lives at home and plays video games at all hours of the day. I had called my main office and complained over 20 time before the office manager came out and berated me for calling cuz as she slammed the front door of the building open and stomped her hefty ass up the steps, the neighbor turned it off. So I looked like I was crazy as she yelled at myself and my husband cuz she couldn't hear anything and didn't understand why we would waste her time.
    We felt defeated until one evening after a long 12 hour day at work I came home to my three year old crying because he kept hearing thunder, no thunder it's the bass to this guys video games. I had enough I went downstairs to the maintenance man who lives in my building and asked him to come upstairs to hear the noise. He agreed it was to loud and proceeded to knock on there door, then bang, until he began to fumble to find the right key to just walk in to the unit, the mother answers the door in her PJs. The maintenance man explained to them that the bass was to loud and to turn it down, they did for about 15 minutes. I then called the police, enough is enough. The police officer came in and says "I don't hear anything" I replied "just give it a minute" no sooner do I say that the walls begin to shake as the booms start rolling. Finally some justice and proof that I'm not just being a pain in the ass. The police officer knocked on the door, then banged on the door. The guy who is the problem yanks open the door and yells "It's not even up that loud!" "Oh hi officer, well this is the loudests it has been."
    Who is this guy trying to kid, I'm over it, I will call the police any chance I get now. I did a little research and in my area it's once you have had one warning and two tickets for noise complaints my apartment complex HAS to evict you. Game on! we have one warning and one ticket, just one more to go! I look at the positive note I may be helping this over-grown child get on his own two feet and get out of his mothers place, if one of my children were the reason why I got evicted from where I was staying because of video games at the age of thirty, I'd definetly be like, it was fun but you are on your own, good luck!