Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Avoid a Rent Increase

Posted by bwbwbw (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 25, 06 at 12:09

Hey all,

I recently wrote an article about steps you can take to avoid a rent increase come lease renewal time.....what to put in your letter, how to negotiate with the company, etc. If your company or landlord has proposed a lease renewal and wants to up your rent, you may be able to weasel your way out of it - possibly. Here's my article:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/17113/how_to_negotiate_a_lease_renewal_with.html

Good luck. I know it has worked for some folks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Avoid a Rent Increase

Most landlords could care less about these reasons. A buddy of mine raises his rent everytime he buys a new vehicle. The raised rent pays his new car payment.

I just had a tenant look at an apt available June 1st. He tried to reason with me how good a tenant he was, he would pre pay all his rent but wanted to move in July 1st. He said I wouldn't have to show it again etc. I said June 1st take it or leave it. I knew he was good BUT the next person was even better and is moving in June 1.

Landlords mostly want their $$$$ and no phone calls. Vacancies also don't scare us. Its part of the P/L sheet. Also if your landlord has owned the building for a few years, like me, you only need around a 70% occupancy to break even.

On the other hand I never have risen any rents other than when I take over a property. That may have to change next summer but for now I have never risen rent in the 10 years I have done this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here