Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jskdv74

Landlord's roof repair - noise during day for day sleeper

jskdv74
14 years ago

I work overnight and sleep during day in a top floor apartment. My landlord started these roof repair works and i cannot sleep in my apartment because it feels like they drill and hammer directly to my head. The works will continue for another 2-3 months. Landlord has no other units to offer temporarily - can i demand rent reduction?

Comments (7)

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

I can empathize about the roof repair noise. It's wall shaking unnerving loud. But, day time is the only time those guys can work. I don't know how you could demand a rent reduction, LL can't let it go so the roof leaks and then there is mold/water problems in upper units. He's fulfilling his obligation to keep the premises in good repair.

I don't get why it will take 2-3 months tho? A complete tear off and reinstall on a house can be done in two days (my own house they had a large crew and were done in one full day).

• camlan
    14 years ago

I, too, am puzzled by the 2-3 months. Why would it take so long? But if the roof needs repairing, the landlord does have an obligation to everyone who lives in the building to fix it, to say nothing of protecting his investment in the building.

Can you request that the repairs over your section of the roof be done all at once, so you will have a week or so of loud noise and then the noise will shift to another section of the roof?

Can you wear earplugs? Use a white noise machine? I realize that neither of these will shut out all the noise, or any banging and crashing that is going on, but they might shut out enough so that you can get some sleep.

• fotostat
    14 years ago

2-3 months is insane unless you have a flat roof with machinery up there (unlikely). I think there is more to this story, as your LL what's going on.

A typical workday is 8 hours, you're going to have to sleep at a different time. I worked nights for 11 months last year, I slept when I got home from 9Am until 3-4 PM. I live next store to a garden center/nursery so sometimes they made noise with metal carts or machinery, etc. When that happened I would just have to stay awake and sleep later on when the noise quieted down.

• fredwolf
    14 years ago

There is no way a roof repair would take 2-3 months.

• plc1976
    14 years ago

I suggest that you ask to break the lease if he cannot accommdate your request. He has to do what he has to do and so do you which is sleep. You should not be denied any right to peace just because you are 2nd shift worker. This would bother me even if I wasn't trying to sleep. MOVE. He will not give you a rent reduction he will let you out of your lease and get another tenant in there to pay full rent before he does that. I have experienced it before.

• Brenda Besson
    3 years ago

Is it legal for roofing to be done on weekends at 7 am?

• sushipup1
    3 years ago

See if your city has noise ordinances.

Sponsored
Town & Country Pools, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Discover the Best Pool Builder in Virginia, Maryland & DC!