Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drapery Dilemma

Posted by Gardening-Grace (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 10:57

I loved the size of the windows in my condo, until I had to figure out draperies. The problem is, the windows go to the ceiling and there is an 8-inch heater box on the floor. Drapes should not cover the heat source, but will they look strange coming to just an inch above that? On the far left and right, drapes could go ceiling-to-floor, but the left side also has access to the balcony which needs to be clear.

Also, most ceiling mounted rods would leave a space at the top where light would come through. I thought about doing a Ripplefold system but can't find the hardware anywhere I've looked! Any suggestion will be appreciated, N.B. Privacy is not an issue but filtering light IS.

This post was edited by Gardening-Grace on Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 11:00

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drapery Dilemma

I'd mount the rod on the ceiling and add a second rod in front with a valance, to help block the light.

Or create a cornice box around the curtain rod to block the light.

Or look into ceiling mounting blackout honeycomb shades.

I'd have the drapes stop an inch above the heater, although I've had them touch the heater and nothing has ever happened.

Just how dark do you need to make the room? Because you could also do 2 roman shades, mounted side by side, but light would come in between them.

Or consider vertical blinds.

I'd also take a look at the building from outside and see what your neighbors are doing.

o

You might want to post this in the Home Decorating forum for additional suggestions.

Stopping the drapes an inch above the heater box would be the logical thing to do. I can't think of any way around that. I would still worry that the heat would over time damage the fabric. It is odd that the heater box extends into the patio doorway - you have to step over the heater box to get outside.

You can buy ripplefold rods on line; Kirsch makes them. I don't think a minor gap at the top from a standard curtain rod mounted on the ceiling would be a problem if you are only interested in light filtering. You might want to check to see what your ceiling material is. If that's a concrete ceiling, installing a rod is going to be a lot of work.

o

room dividers/folding screens. They sit on the floor and they're uber portable. Whats not to like? =)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here