Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quietrenter

Neighbors violating lease

quietrenter
14 years ago

Hi, I'm brand new here and I haven't been able to find a posting with this problem, so I thought I'd ask. I live in an apartment building where there is a fire door at each end of the hallway. For roughly the past two weeks the neighbors across the hall have been propping open the fire door immediately outside my apartment (it's right next to their door too). There is big sign on each fire door stating that it is a fire door and must remain closed by order of the fire marshal. I have a kitten that likes to escape as soon as I come in the door so I've been closing the fire door everyday so she won't make it down 3 flights of stairs before I can catch her.

Two days ago I had closed the door and was unlocking my apartment when the lady across the hall came out of her apartment, looked at the now closed door then went back into her apartment, retrieved a piece of cardboard and propped the door open again. I stood there gaping at her but she wouldn't make eye contact or acknowledge me in any way. (I should have said something but I was so shocked at her audacity that I didn't.) Obviously she knew I had just closed the door. So, I immediately called the management company and reported it. The assistant manager told me thank you and that she'd send them a letter. (either a warning or a notice of a lease infraction, I'm not sure. But they're pretty quick to send out infractions without a warning first so I'm assuming it's the latter.)

Then, yesterday I came home and the door was propped open again. I closed it and immediately after I had entered my apartment I heard my neighbor come out and prop it open again.  So I went back out and closed it. It just became a silent power struggle between us and I ended up closing that door 6 times last night and this morning it was open again.  Â

So today I called the management company again and left a voicemail.  I'm not sure whether the neighbors were sent the letter promised by management or not, so they either don't know that it's not okay or they don't care--despite the large signs on the doors.Â

The issue with my kitty running out is annoying, but I don't expect my neighbors to change anything because of it. And while I think my neighbors behavior is terribly rude, I can deal with that. (Just becase their neighbors doesn't mean I have to be friends with them.) My biggest issue now is the fact that the fire door is there for a reason. If there was a fire and that door could give us an extra few minutes to get out of the building it could save our lives. I also looked up the city ordinances and fire codes etc and read that it's against the law to prop open fire doors. Â

So, my question is what do I do at this point? Do I continue to call the management? I don't want to keep bothering them but this is a safety issue. Honestly, I'm not willing to knock on the neighbors door to talk to them--since it is a law I feel like the management should take the responsibility of notifying them. The fire department for my city has a phone number to call with questions about fire codes but that seems like I'd be "tattling" on the management company. Any suggestions? I'm frustrated because there have been a LOT of apartment fires in my county in the past few months and it would be devastating to lose all my possessions--but so much worse to be hurt or die because of a DOOR. Â

Oh--one more thing: I can't figure out any good reason that the neighbors insist on the door being open since the doors to our units are always closed. We don't even have peepholes. I'm perplexed as well as frustrated so any advice anyone can give me would be great! Â Sorry this is so long! Â Â Â Â Â

Comments (9)

• larke
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Could she possibly be opening it to get rid of the smell of.... something illegal going on? I personally would call the fire marshall's office and let them know what's going on. Don't worry about your super - either he does his job or he doesn't (and is quite able to take care of himself).

• quietrenter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the advice. When I've called the management office I haven't mentioned the cat specifically for that reason--why would they care about someones random anxiety? So I just mentioned the fire marshal sign and that it seems like a safety issue. I do hesitate to call the fire marshal even though I know there are regulations saying landlords can't penalize a tenant for calling. But we all know that there are ways of treating people poorly without being in violation of a rule/law.

Also, no it's not a security door so at least anyone coming into the hall have already gotten access to the building. (Though people do prop open the security door to outside a lot too.)

I had thought of the smell issue. I know people do prop open the doors periodically for awhile when they've cooked something potent which doesn't bother me since it for short times. But, this doesn't seem to be the case as I haven't smelled anything strong. The logic behind it is so confusing! It makes me think they're now doing it just because they know I'm closing it.

I think I'm going to give it a day or two to see of it continues and then try the letter if nothing gets better. At least today it stayed closed for several hours between when I closed it and when I drove by on my lunch break. And when I closed it after work they've yet to open it again--it's been 2 1/2 hours. So it's a step in the right direction. Maybe they finally got the letter and aren't being so vigilant about it...

Thanks again for the advice! I was afraid someone would immediately say I'm being unreasonable.

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

Oh, I don't think you're unreasonable at all. As a LL I cover myself as best I can from these kinds of situations (houses, tho). And the reason I suggested holding off on the FM is for just the reason you stated. Not knowing what type of LL you have, some could take it as a personal affront. But I still say if you get no results beyond a letter or two, FM is a viable alternative.

I'd be interested to know how it goes.

• Cindy Stone
    7 years ago

So WHAT HAPPENED? I have the same issues going on where I live and just typed up a letter listing building and fire code regulations. Curious what happened in your case?

• rikki_t
    7 years ago

It sounds like they are propping it open to let unauthorized people inside. Have you tried asking them why they prop it open? Is it locked from the outside so that you need a key to get in?

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Cindy, it's very unlikely the OP will see this since the issue is over 6 years old.

• revgailowino
    7 years ago

Hmmm sounds like a typical high rise type situation. Yes, put all of this in writing-documenting every incident including times and dates if possible. Give a copy to management (keeping a copy of your own). If this doesn't get any results, then go to the fire marshal and let him know what is going on. Security in these buildings is so lax that people are letting people in off the street. They either are not thinking or they don't care that somebody might come in and rob and murder the residents there. That's a scary thought, but it can happen especially in a big city.

• johnnytiggs
    5 years ago

I have a pyrophobic and fumiphobia condition. Fear of fire and smoke in those orders. December 29, 2017 a woman was attending her 2 year old daughter in another part of the apartment when she heard her 4 year old screaming. She rushed to find out what was wrong with him. You guessed it. He had started a fire in the kitchen. She grabbed him and her daughter and fled the building . . . leaving the apartment door open. Toxic smoke rushed out of the apartment and up the open first floor fire door and chimneyed up the stairway to the open fire door on the fourth floor. EIGHT DEAD. Worse fire fatality in New York City in 25 years. I stay in a one bedroom apartment on the third floor of an apartment building. Once I tried to explain to my neighbor down the hall about keeping the doors closed do to fire safety. He went into a rage, said he didn't give a damn and stormed off. I'll never say anything to anybody else in that building about fire safety. Back to my phobias; I keep a strong rope tied to my radiator in my apartment so in case of fire I can repel out the window to the ground. I keep a flashlight, shoes, clothing, my wallet, credit cards, money, my cell phone and gloves in a hat by my bed. I never fall asleep while cooking. I have five WORKING smoke detectors in my apartment. Two by the apartment door, three in my bedroom. Smoke inhalation kills more people then fire. Good luck to all:)