Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quietlover

What should I do?

quietlover
13 years ago

I live in a nice suburb. I have lived in my current house for 3+ years now.

It ispart of a multi unit dwelling. It's a condo that's owned by us.

Several months ago, our upstairs neighbors' furnace started making noise. It's bearable during the day, however, it was so loud that it would either wake us up or keep us awake.

We dealt with it for a month or two and then decided to approach the neighbors and ask them nicely to take a look.

We did not know these neighbors, we don't really talk to our neighbors much. When approached, they did acknowledge that their furnace did indeed have some problems. They, however, did not seem happy that I was complaining about the noise. Before I left, they told me that they would fix the problem.

Since, the noise had not abated in frequency or loudness, I followed up again in 2 weeks and a few days later, I was told by one of the neighbors that it was fixed. He did come to my unit, and demonstrated that the noise had been fixed. It wasn't fixed completely, however, the noise level was bearable and I thanked the neighbor for taking care of it.

Now, a month later, they are starting to make our lives absolute hell. They turn on their stereo at 3 a.m. and even though it's only for a few seconds, it wakes us up. Around 5 a.m. I can hear what sounds like the toilet seat being slammed against the bowl. They then start stomping.

On Sunday, the noise started at 3 a.m. and ended at 11 a.m. Although it was not constant during that time, each noise was loud enough to wake us up and not allow us to go back to sleep.

I really don't know what to do. I don't think I can talk to these neighbors again. They seem really upset when I ring their doorbell as if I were bohering them.

I was polite each time I encountered them, I was the one who apologized every time when I rang their bell (2 times, on separate occasions, in the late afternoon).

Thanks for reading this long post.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling