Return to the Apartment Living Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rent increase: how much notice do you give/get?

Posted by moonshadow (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 24, 07 at 16:53

Just curious about other landlords policies or tenants experiences.

Landlords, if you're going to increase the rent, how much advance notice do you typically give (and any pertinent reasons).

Tenants, how much notice, based on your past personal experience, have you been given before a rent increase?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rent increase: how much notice do you give/get?

I have been a landlord for just over a year now. I have not raised the rent from what the other owner charged. I have thought about, but I live in my building and I'm not in it for a big profit just looking to have a nice place to live thats not going to cost me alot over the long haul. If I did I would have many good reasons for doing so. Since I bought the place I have been working to fix it up. I have establised a nice lawn, improved the electrical and plumbing. installed a new more reliable heating system, painted outside and more. plus the proberty taxes have gone up as well as the cost of natural gas for heating both which are costs the rent for any property has to cover.
If I were to raise the rent I would be justified because the cost of running the place has gone up and I have made improvements to make it a nicer more livable place, so that its worth more.

o

I think it has always been a 3 month notice for us...before the signing of a new lease.

o

on a month to month lease 30 days would be the minimum required unless the state you are in has different laws. I would give 2-3 months notice so that tenants can prepair to put the larger rent in to their budjet.

o

We get about 1-2 months. We're on month-to-month. It goes up about the same time each year....glad we're getting ready to buy a house!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Apartment Living Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here